Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So total electrical newb here.... I installed an arsenal 50inch light bar and just ordered a tusk tower mount bar. I would like to be able to run both lights off one switch. Should I run a relay for each bar and then tie in to the switch? I dont think I will be able to run both bars off the existing relay/harness.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
You can use one relay if you size it correctly. No reason you cannot run two relays if you want to also. I would not even consider not using a relay. Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 50inch bar is installed with a 40amp realy and harness that came with the kit. I will be adding the tusk light bar this weekend. Not sure what guage wite the arrsenal kit uses, ill have to check tonight.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
The 50inch bar is installed with a 40amp realy and harness that came with the kit. I will be adding the tusk light bar this weekend. Not sure what guage wite the arrsenal kit uses, ill have to check tonight.
If that bar has a 40 amp relay you will need two relays. That's a lot of draw. Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya the arsenal specs are confusing, says 288w or 480w. Im thinking the double row bar is the 480w. Better be safe and run the second relay. What type of switch should I use if I wanted to controll each light in stages? Flip the switch once for the small light, hit it again for the large light.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Ya the arsenal specs are confusing, says 288w or 480w. Im thinking the double row bar is the 480w. Better be safe and run the second relay. What type of switch should I use if I wanted to controll each light in stages? Flip the switch once for the small light, hit it again for the large light.
You can get switched very close to factory appearance from a few places.

Maybe see what vendors here have.

You need an off - on - on.

That will put both devices on in the the top spot as opposed to on-off-on Which would be either or not both. Tim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get switched very close to factory appearance from a few places.

Maybe see what vendors here have.

You need an off - on - on.

That will put both devices on in the the top spot as opposed to on-off-on Which would be either or not both. Tim
Thanks Tim!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do yourself a favor, get an ammeter, and amp out your light bars. I'm not familiar with Arsenal, but the majority of light bars you can buy have their wattage overstated by 3x-5x.

Once you know the ACTUAL amperage the bars will draw, THEN you can make informed decisions on wiring.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do yourself a favor, get an ammeter, and amp out your light bars. I'm not familiar with Arsenal, but the majority of light bars you can buy have their wattage overstated by 3x-5x.

Once you know the ACTUAL amperage the bars will draw, THEN you can make informed decisions on wiring.
Good idea. Thank you

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
In your case, with two higher amp draw accessories, I suggest two separate relays for ease of electrical diagnosis in the future as well as the ability to still have one of the 2 bars working should one of the relays fail. You can google “Carling” switches, as those are the OEM style. There are multiple configurations available with LED or incandescent illumination and many colors.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In your case, with two higher amp draw accessories, I suggest two separate relays for ease of electrical diagnosis in the future as well as the ability to still have one of the 2 bars working should one of the relays fail. You can google “Carling” switches, as those are the OEM style. There are multiple configurations available with LED or incandescent illumination and many colors.
Ya I might go that route. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts