Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not one to spend $150 for a temperature gauge when I can buy almost the same one and put it in for $18. I'm also tired of running wires so I just bought a mechanical one instead of an electrical sender unit one. I used the mount that came with it as a template and marked a circle on the back of the center console and then cut it out with a razor blade. I then used a rasp file to get it to the proper size for the gauge to push in and then lock in place nicely. I went the easy route and ran the mechanical probe down to the front CVT outlet, I just took the rubber coupling off, put the sensor in the tube, and then put the coupling back on. I had it out at Glamis this weekend and it worked great. Normal cruising I was about 160°. Couple of runs of Oldsmobile and I had 195 - 200. And then in the big bowls I got up to 210°. Edit: this was with a stock cvt system.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So the wire with the sensor on it just slips underneath the hosed clamped rubber boot? This is probably a stupid question but I have toask it anyways. How do you know the sensor is reading it correctly if its calibrated for water & not air? It shouldnt matter correct????? How do these temps compare to the other kits. similar temps?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It does look like a great find.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
thx 4 telling me this weekend ! lol oh wait

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the wire with the sensor on it just slips underneath the hosed clamped rubber boot? This is probably a stupid question but I have toask it anyways. How do you know the sensor is reading it correctly if its calibrated for water & not air? It shouldnt matter correct????? How do these temps compare to the other kits. similar temps?
I'm 99% sure it's the same type of gauge that the big companies are selling. Plus there's a thread on the commander forum that's a couple years old and they did the same thing.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
His readings are pretty similar to what I see based on the type of load I put the clutches under in various terrain. Too many variables to compare where he is riding to where I ride but glad to see the numbers are in the same ballpark. Mine haven't seen anything over 200' other than once and that was during a long 10 mile ascent with an elevation change of about 4K feet. The temps dropped quickly once I leveled out or began descending . There should be no difference in readings between water and air other than one type may be more responsive than the other (i.e. quicker reaction to temp changes).
I'm not one to spend $150 for a temperature gauge when I can buy almost the same one and put it in for $18. I'm also tired of running wires so I just bought a mechanical one instead of an electrical sender unit one. I used the mount that came with it as a template and marked a circle on the back of the center console and then cut it out with a razor blade. I then used a rasp file to get it to the proper size for the gauge to push in and then lock in place nicely. I went the easy route and ran the mechanical probe down to the front CVT outlet, I just took the rubber coupling off, put the sensor in the tube, and then put the coupling back on. I had it out at Glamis this weekend and it worked great. Normal cruising I was about 160°. Couple of runs of Oldsmobile and I had 195 - 200. And then in the big bowls I got up to 210°.
Thanks for the info.....so how are you holding the temperature probe in place? Is it just sandwiched between the rubber boot and the plastic housing? Also, how quickly do your temps drop once you start cruising again?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yup, the probe is just sandwiched between the rubber coupling and the plastic tube. And the one time that I saw 210° we were doing 60 mph through the big bowls. So that's about a pretty good load on it I'd say. And the temps drop surprisingly fast when you start cruising.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't argue one way or the other but I question the logic behind using a water temp guage to measure air temp. A mechanical water temp guage will not give a true reading in the water jacket of a car when no water is present so I fail to see how a water temp guage can give a true reading in a clutch housing where no water is present. I'm not the sharpest tack in the box so can somebody please explain this to me.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems to work to me. And even if it's not 100% completely accurate, at least it gives you a relative indicator as to what temps you're running. And then if you notice that 20 minutes after hitting 250° you blow a belt three times in a row, well you then know to never to get it to 250° again.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts