Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, had a bad cv axle and bearing that was replaced and after my first ride noticed the brakes weren’t working which was from a loose axle bolt causing the wheel to wobble. Took the maverick to the dealer and asked the check the bearings. They said everything was good but the axle nut was loose.

I noticed this gap at the knuckle where the cv axle connects on the side the went bad and no gap on the opposite side. This is the front end. I am attaching some pictures of the bad and good side.

is this gap normal?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
1,326 Posts
So did this dealer leave the axle nut loose and no cotter pin? Yikes.... I would never let them touch my machine ever again. Looks like that side with a gap wasn't assembled and or torqued properly. The axle nut takes like 180 Ft Lbs torque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was me that didn’t replace the cotter pins or properly torque the nut, took it to them after I noticed an issue. Still thought the dealer would have thrown the cotter pins on when I had them look it over, I’ll have to grab some. So it was also me that replaced the bearing and CV axle originally, I noticed the knuckle had a inner edge the bearing pressed into and I did seat it all the way. Not sure why there seems to be something missing on the back or not fully seated.

Just picked it up today and saw that there was still a gap on the one side. Don’t wanna tow this a few hours and still have an issue.

Thanks for the welcome as well!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would not just retorque the nut. If there is sand and/or debris in the gap it will not mate well. After verifying the bearing, I would recommend you pull it apart and clean before torque. Price of a bearing is not really worth the risk of screwing up a riding day to me, just $.02
Not sure what I am seeing in the pictures but a loose axle could also tear up the seal and that may be the gap you are seeing. Safe course is to take it apart and redo seal and bearing. Bad seals will cause premature bearing wear.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
When you installed your new axle are you putting the splines in the hub and then putting on the nut and pulling the shaft into the hub assembly before tightening the wheel nut. And just to remove the easy you should also have a washer under the axle nut taper side facing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts