Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I realize after being laid over or rolled, oil will more than likely find its way into the heads and eventually be burnt off. My question is how long does it usually burn oil? The other night I was nearly laid over for around 20 minutes in a very deep rut with a broken front passenger axle. After getting it out and getting back to my truck, it was smoking a little. Next day I had to add almost a 1/2 quart which was understandable. Went on a long ride this past weekend and any time I go 3/4 throttle or more it is still smoking quite a bit. Oil level is still perfect and the motor seems to still be running strong but it's lasting longer than I expected and is starting to worry me.. Sorry for the short novel. Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Here's a shitty pic just cause:wink:
VZM.IMG_20160126_163457.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check your air filter maybe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add that but I have checked the filter and the airbox and have found no oil or residue.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you added a 1/2 quart that oil , the oil you lost is inside your intake system and any time you hit high rpm some is sucked into the engine .
All that oil has to get burnt off before you stop killing mosquitoes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The only way to stop it from smoking is to remove all the intake parts and clean them out .
Sorry man

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You dont think itll burn itself off? I know it smoking is a common thing after a situation like mine, I'm just curious how long it usually lasts :/

·
Administrator
3,327 Posts
Hard to tell timewise how long, but just monitor it each short ride and it should clean out eventually, even if runners are oil soaked.

If it still keeps smoking after a few rides, you may have coked a piston ring, but a top end cleaner should dissolve that coke residue.
All in all, you hopefully won't use any measurable oil while it still smokes like a Banshee.....meaning it is burning off that 1/2 qt oil, but yet not using any from your crankcase....a win win for you..GL!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'm just going to keep riding it like I do and be patient lol, and listen to the RZR guys talk even more shit than usual since it's now a mosquito killer in the middle of winter haha

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I guess I'm just going to keep riding it like I do and be patient lol, and listen to the RZR guys talk even more shit than usual since it's now a mosquito killer in the middle of winter haha
Tell them you are just trying to fit in with all the popo's
And smoke rolling out the back is the best you could come up with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not bad lol.
They tell me my canam "slings dildos out the exhaust" so I've been telling em since I'm usually leading on the trail, it's just self-lubing them for the popo's:joy:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you have a winch , winch the front as high up as you can and that will get all the oil to go in at once . But if you do this , have the spark plugs out so you don't hydraulic the engine . Spin the engine over with the starter for a couple seconds and your oil will spit out of the plug holes . Put your plugs back in and after a five minute drive your set

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went out of town and the mav sat for 2 weeks and so when I got back I checked the oil again and it was well above the MAX line so I drained it to the middle between low and max and have since had no more smoke so I guess letting it sit that long let all the oil drain out of the heads! Couldn't be happier but it definitely took forever!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts