Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding last weekend a rock punched a hole in my 15” Method wheel. I decided to leave the wheel scrapers on when I upgraded to 15’s and now I’m obviously having second thoughts. I’m considering trying to get the wheel repaired but not sure if this is something a wheel repair shop can do or not? Anyway, will probably pull the scrapers but am concerned this will just allow bigger rocks to get caught between wheel and caliper. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I thought removing the slider was absolute way to go along with the 15" wheel and rock blocker type flaps.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Max RR Triple Black
29 Posts
While riding last weekend a rock punched a hole in my 15” Method wheel. I decided to leave the wheel scrapers on when I upgraded to 15’s and now I’m obviously having second thoughts. I’m considering trying to get the wheel repaired but not sure if this is something a wheel repair shop can do or not? Anyway, will probably pull the scrapers but am concerned this will just allow bigger rocks to get caught between wheel and caliper. Any thoughts?
View attachment 265808 View attachment 265809
My buddy had this happen a few years ago, one of the reasons I went with 18” wheels. The other reason is they look sick

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove mine off the lot with aftermarket 15s and took those scrapers off shortly after. Trash can
Good call, I'll trash the scrapers. Opinions on whether or nor it's worth trying to repair the wheel? A local shop said it would probably be ~$125 to repair it. Probably less hassle just to by a new one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I’ll contact Method.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Max RR Triple Black
29 Posts
Look good. I had to go with the 18 wheels to clear the Portals, so not sure if i will have any rock issues. Maybe the taller 37 inch tires i am running will also help but not sure. Soon to find out.
Send pics of your buggy. I’d like to see it on portals with 37’s. Is it a Max?

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Good call, I'll trash the scrapers. Opinions on whether or nor it's worth trying to repair the wheel? A local shop said it would probably be ~$125 to repair it. Probably less hassle just to by a new one.
I would just buy a new wheel. I would feel uneasy wondering if the repair was holding up while I was driving around.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Are you running roc blokz or something similar? I believe they help tremendously diverting debris from inner wheel.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would try a cheap DIY repair first. Hammer it flat from the inside, sand around it and JB Weld. What have got to lose?

·
Premium Member
8,571 Posts
I would try a cheap DIY repair first. Hammer it flat from the inside, sand around it and JB Weld. What have got to lose?
people like you amaze me at how you get through life just super glueing everything. Fix something correctly so you can use it with confidence or throw it in the gutter and go buy another.

I get it everyone does not have a sweet set of tools like the great Mega does. But it’s no excuse not to seek out a professional and ask for help. Then hand over some greenbacks to real men and watch magic happen.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
52 Posts
JB Weld? Wow, just wow. I made my living as a welder, been welding for more than a half-century and most of my welding now days is on aluminum. I wouldn't waste my time trying to repair that damaged wheel -- shit can it and buy a new one. Keep the old one for a garage ornament, hang it on the wall as a conversation piece.

I get the cost issue, I'm retired living on a fixed income. But some things are just not economically repairable and that damaged wheel will never be the same. I'm surprise someone hasn't suggested to run a tube in it. Wow...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts