Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros/cons of 14 or 15 inch wheels in your opinion? I was thinking of going with the 15" wheels originally, but keep leaning to the old logic of more air means more suspension in a smaller 14" wheel option.

If it matters I have a base Maverick X3 Max.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
14" will limit your taller tire height options. Not sure on the base of the mud scraper is an issue or not, so the clearance issue might not be a problem. 15" wheels are becoming more popular and cheaper, lots of 32"+ tires to choose from also. I don't thing the more tire for a softer ride is that big of a difference from 14 to 15. I would be more concerned with a sidewall puncture with a large soft sidewall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing myself...
I've got the 120 hp X3 Turbo and have been contemplating between the 14 & 15 inch wheels.... one of my debates is going with the 14" over the 15" would give me more tire sidewall to prevent scraping of the wheel on rocks while riding trails?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Slightly less chance of a rock getting stuck in the wheel and cutting it in half with 15". I didn't say no chance, just slightly less. Or you could say larger rocks could get stuck in a 15".

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
I run 32s on 14in. If I would do it again I would go with 15in. That little more gap is a safety margin against inside hitchhiking rocks. Those bastards. Obviously there is always bigger rocks out there but i feel the higher clearance, the less chance of cutting your wheel in half. :crazy:

Plus maybe some space for larger breaks in the future? Who knows. We'll that would bring us back to first problem lol
On my 900xp I packed the inside on my rear wheels with salt flat mud and did not now it, when I got back to camp I had nearly ground my calipers away to the point the sliding pins we're almost exposed. Expensive lesson that was...

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
On my 900xp I packed the inside on my rear wheels with salt flat mud and did not now it, when I got back to camp I had nearly ground my calipers away to the point the sliding pins we're almost exposed. Expensive lesson that was...

Oh boy, we learn something new every day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts