Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my X3 today and went for the first ride. All system check ok. Very hard to drive it slow..
What are the technical differences (the parts) between the base 120HP and the more powerful RR? Aside from the shocks, lack of intercooler (with obviously a different engine map) and piping for it - are things like driveshafts, propshafts, braking system, diffs, the turbo itself, clutch, engine internals the same? Or does the 195HP one has those parts upgraded as well?
TIA

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Clutch weights are different from all 120 including xcr and xmr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would think the longblock is identical except for the intake cam which was talked about on here as being different.
After that the differences are in the exhaust/turbo setup, and on the intake side with the intercooler and its hoses.
Tunes are obviously different. And the clutch setup is different.

The fancier X3's have better shocks, and accessories come with the upgraded price...

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
pistons, injectors, fuel pump, cams, tune, clutch weights, helix, exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler w/ fan and tubes

you should be looking more for a comparison of your 120hp car to what the 174 hp R model cars are as that is what you want to convert yours into, you cannot make it into an RR unless you get the entire engine out of a wrecked car

·
Registered
61 Posts
you should be looking more for a comparison of your 120hp car to what the 174 hp R model cars are as that is what you want to convert yours into, you cannot make it into an RR unless you get the entire engine out of a wrecked car
Bump on this thread, I've tried searching and couldn't find the same info...do you have any more info or know of better search terms? I would like to look into upgrading my 120 to 174.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I’m in the process of doing this very thing. I was able to get a used intercooler and fan assembly and bought a set of hoses. When all the parts are here and I get into the nuts and bolts I will get back to you. I already have a PV3 so tunes will not be a problem. Since mine is a 2018 it should be an easy upgrade. There are kits available to get you to 195hp with your motor but all the way to an RR will cost you $$$$$$

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats what I'm looking for, like the intercooler setup upgrade that's just bolt-in/replace OEM parts. Did you also get the upgraded fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Keeping stock fuel pump (for now). You cannot keep the stock tune so you will have to get one from your choice of any number of good tuners on here. Since I already have the Dynojet PV3 I will use their tune to start as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will be keeping an eye on your progress JDB, do you plan on doing any speed test comparisons with an apps or device for before/after each mod?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am doing the same thing right now. Just waiting on some parts. It cost a lot more than i thought it would but at this point what the hell.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Got a smoking deal on the intercooler and fan off of a 2017. Hardware from the block off plate is reused to mount the intercooler. Aftermarket silicone hoses $180 shipped with all new clamps. Tune supplied in the PV3 I already have. Why are your costs so high and how high are we talking?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Intercooler and fan, fuel pump, hoses and bov, pv3 and tune, clutch parts, and clutch tools. Adds up quick. Not complaining just hoping to get off cheaper.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yes I can see where that project is getting pricey. I chose not to do the BOV and will adjust the intercooler fan through the tune. I will address clutching as needed in the future. Thankfully I already had the PV3.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts