Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a Jayco Octane T30F bumper pull with effectively a 16 foot garage which my X3 fits in easily. Width is a bit tight when I have the sand tires on but can still get around the machine to strap down etc.

We are thinking about upgrading to a 5th wheel for ease of towing and having a separate garage area vs having to unload the machine to actually camp, sleep, etc. We have 1.5 kiddos which drive unloading currently.

So to the question how tight length wise is a 12" garage for a 2 seater? I have a stock 2020 X3 RC RR. Stock front bumper with winch. I believe the machine is 11'6" so in theory will fit. In practicality for those that have a similiar set up how easy is it to fit length wise? Are you worried about bumping a wall when loading? Do you use a winch to pull the final length inside?

Just looking for some feedback on the loading challenges. I also tend to like to back in to get the engine weight over the axles of the RV.

Thanks,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Howdy Tik,

It will fit in a 12 foot garage but your going to have a difficult time tying it down. I know it will cut into your living space but I would suggest a 14 foot garage at minimum. I honestly think you will curse the day you spend the money on to small of a garage, spend the money ONCE up front and be done with it.

Dave

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
12ft is plenty for a 2 seater. I wouldn't bother with backing it in with the 5er unless you've got a light pin weight (not very common). You'll probably have plenty of pin weight as it is. Have never had to back mine in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that is my concern that buying a 12' garage is a bit tight. Sure it will work . To Cob's point I semi regret the bumper pull just for towing, love it otherwise. I want to get 1 final unit that we will have for a long time.

Appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I personally think garage models are a waste. They are never big enough and you already have to move slide outs and stuff around whats hard about rolling a sxs down the ramp and rolling a carpet down? Also most garage model with decent space are all pushing 40'.

Ill be looking for a new fifthwheel in the summer and garage model is not on my list.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Howdy All,

A toy hauler type trailer with a decent sized, USABLE, garage is going to be a big trailer, its also going to take at least a one ton dually to tow it safely. For the folks who live in States that allow double towing that might be an option, however now your really going to need the proper size truck as you will have more weight to tow and STOP.

I would advise doing some real world research into what your NEEDS are BEFORE buying a trailer and a compatible tow vehicle. If you buy a trailer and don't like it your going to LOSE money when you sell it or trade it for something else, BEFORE you buy a trailer do a test load into it and make sure its going to work for you.

When you get into the larger trailers your going to be dealing with WEIGHT, most of the newer pickups will tow it but they will NOT be able to STOP it safely in a panic situation, been there survived that. I know that my setup is NOT for everyone but with an 18 foot garage and a real truck to tow and stop it for me and my NEEDS it works well. A used HDT ( heavy Duty Truck ) is way CHEAPER then a newer pickup and will tow and STOP the largest RV trailers with ease and SAFETY.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Howdy All,

A toy hauler type trailer with a decent sized, USABLE, garage is going to be a big trailer, its also going to take at least a one ton dually to tow it safely. For the folks who live in States that allow double towing that might be an option, however now your really going to need the proper size truck as you will have more weight to tow and STOP.

I would advise doing some real world research into what your NEEDS are BEFORE buying a trailer and a compatible tow vehicle. If you buy a trailer and don't like it your going to LOSE money when you sell it or trade it for something else, BEFORE you buy a trailer do a test load into it and make sure its going to work for you.

When you get into the larger trailers your going to be dealing with WEIGHT, most of the newer pickups will tow it but they will NOT be able to STOP it safely in a panic situation, been there survived that. I know that my setup is NOT for everyone but with an 18 foot garage and a real truck to tow and stop it for me and my NEEDS it works well. A used HDT ( heavy Duty Truck ) is way CHEAPER then a newer pickup and will tow and STOP the largest RV trailers with ease and SAFETY.

Dave
yup, lots of 3/4 ton trucks running around towing some sketchy loads.

·
Registered
2018.5 x3 xrs. 15” omf beadlocks 35” rockzillas. S3 radius rods Simpson seats
24 Posts
I have had a 12” garage on my bumper pull and it was a tight fit with my 2018 xrs with 35” tires and front and rear bumper. I sold it an upgraded to a 5th wheel. I have a 17’ garage and can carry now my spare tires and rack and all my parts and tools with no issues. I love the big garage. Also i am in florida and it gets muddy. So i like the garage personally to keep dirt out of ly living area. Besides. I dont really stay in my trailer during the day. Only sleep in it and a little tv. Mostly outside always. The above posts about a bigger truck are right. However the garage models that are bigger have less weight to them cause they are emptier. So mine at 43’ has a dry weight of 13,000 lbs. can be towed with a new 2500 since towing capacity on the new ones are 18,000 lbs. just keep your weight in mind as they said above. Your insurance can also not cover you if you get in an accident and you have exceeded your trucks towing capacity. Good luck and I recommend whatever 5th wheel you get make it a triple axle. They tow so much better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I have a 2019 F350 Single to tow with so should be ok with capacity but completely understand what your saying and exceeding the limits of the truck is a no go for me. We are passively looking so not super serious yet but wanted to get takes on the 12' garage that seem to mirror my thoughts while looking at a few. I'm kind of caught in I don't want a monster hauler as we like to dry camp etc in some areas where it would be tight with a 40+ footer. I for sure won't pull the trigger on anything until I find the perfect rig for us.

Appreciate the feedback,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks guys, I have a 2019 F350 Single to tow with so should be ok with capacity but completely understand what your saying and exceeding the limits of the truck is a no go for me. We are passively looking so not super serious yet but wanted to get takes on the 12' garage that seem to mirror my thoughts while looking at a few. I'm kind of caught in I don't want a monster hauler as we like to dry camp etc in some areas where it would be tight with a 40+ footer. I for sure won't pull the trigger on anything until I find the perfect rig for us.

Appreciate the feedback,
Howdy Tik,

Dry camp you say, we boondock from December to April near Quartszite each winter and many other places all over the western States.

Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dave,stopped by 2 times in QZ last winter to say hi, will try again this january when we leave yuma for QZ, Darrell.
Howdy Darrell,

My camping neighbors told me that someone had stopped but never got any contact information. Please send me a PM or if you stop again and I am not home PLEASE leave some contact information. I don't know the area and am always looking to meet folks and ride with them. I would like to camp and ride in the Yuma area but have never done anything there other then drive through on the way to someplace else so it would nice to get together this winter.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
465 Posts
12’s gonna be real tight. I have a open 12 triton with the front rock deflector on a angle and the rear gate. Even with the extra 4” I get with the rock guard, getting around it is not a option. You can get to the rear axle no problem, but not much besides that. When I throw the tracks in I have the tips up on the rock guard and have to physically push the rear gate to line up.
I would really recommend a 14’ at minimum for something enclosed. 12’s doable but will be some effort for secure strapping. Or a pair of chalks in back to drive into then strap down the other end.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Howdy Tik,

Dry camp you say, we boondock from December to April near Quartszite each winter and many other places all over the western States.

Dave
Now thats a set up. How do you like your voltage?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Now thats a set up. How do you like your voltage?
Howdy Wicked can,

I really like the trailer, but to be perfectly honest I hate the darn slide mechanizum (sp) The small bedroom slide has never in the 6 years I have owned the trailer since I bought it new given any problem, the large living-room slide has been a constant source of frustration. It is now in the shop, again, and with luck will be fixed this time. I finally got a shop to do an actual inspection to find the root of the problem and not just throw parts at it, now its just a matter of getting the last shop that worked on it to pony up the bucks to fix it right, I am NOT holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

It's just me and my wife so the living area of the trailer is plenty for us, having the huge garage is a blessing, plenty of room for when I take my motorcycles or to load the XRC and still have lots of room tools, parts, whatever. The trailer is 44 and a half feet long and over 20,000 pounds, I have up graded the tires to 17.5 inch wheels and commercial grade tires so I don't feel unsafe even if I load it up to over 22,000 pounds which I have done on occasion, I have plenty of braking power to stop it under any condition. Over all its been a great trailer, last summer 2019, my friend installed a super solar system on it so boondocking is easy and stress free, our tanks fresh, gray and black will last two weeks so its easy to stay for long periods of time. But be warned if you go with a trailer like this you honestly NEED more then a one ton truck to safely tow and STOP it.

Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
is it a cable system on the slide or track system?
i have a 19 keystone carbon. Nothing fancy but big garage and does what i need. Except only has a 30 gal fuel tank and i dry camp mostly.
5756CD84-5DDB-4191-B6DE-7AE60E0002BB.jpeg

·
Registered
752 Posts
Take your existing trailer and make a temporary wall, at 12 feet, with a piece of plywood, tarps, or even bungie cords. Now, strap down your car without pushing against that wall. Yeah, not much room. I have 12 feet of space to a refrigerator wall, and I have trouble at times, putting the ratchet straps on the tires..
I leave my carpet down full time, with 3/16 pad underneath, floor anchors bolted thru, and cut outs for table legs. Before driving in, I lay down either moving blankets, tarp, or both. The tarp catches sand, the blankets catch water or mud if I was in the woods. Then, it all shakes outside. And, Roomba keeps the carpet clean.

·
Registered
210 Posts
is it a cable system on the slide or track system?
i have a 19 keystone carbon. Nothing fancy but big garage and does what i need. Except only has a 30 gal fuel tank and i dry camp mostly. View attachment 260577
Howdy Wicked can,

My Voltage is a 2014, actually built in August of 2013, it has the Shwintech (sp) rack and pinion gear slide system, in 2016 they went to a cable system which from what I have heard is just as problematic as the gear drive system. Slides, are nice but I don't know of any system that doesn't have its problems especially on the larger slides.

Dave

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have a 2017 39' Cherokee Wolfpack 5th wheel with a 12' separate Garage. I had issues right off with not enough pin weight and had sway issues. I had to remove the Happijack bed system along with the fold down couch to get the weight down behind the RV wheels. As far as the X3 fitting in the 12' garage I had to remove the party deck fencing as it took up 6 - 7 " in front of the rear door. The RV also have a narrow shelving unit in the front right corner of the garage that had to be removed. I relocated the 60# spare tire from under the rear to under the bed up front and added some tools in the thru space below the bed and back the X3 in to get more pin weight. I did not need any of the things I removed from the garage so I did not have an issue doing that. So now it tow's fairly well. Note that without the X3 in the the TH the pin weight goes up 600#s. As far as strapping the X3 in I ended up using "E track pods on the tires as it made it much easier to strap the X3 down. I started off using the the "D" rings in the floor and traditional strapping method's however it was a major PITA. So in a nut shell, sometimes not having the right truck is the least of your concerns. Weight distribution is always key. So keep this in mind when looking for a toy hauler with separate garage. If I had it to do over I would have bought an open architecture toy hauler so I could place the X3 over the wheels. the open architecture can also be bought in a shorter model. Sorry for the long winded response.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts