Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1,777 Posts
If you decide to do the 10 hour service yourself, there are some cheap tool alternatives you can use to do the valve adjustment.

You need a 14mm allen socket but most sockets are too long because the crank access is shallow between the crank cover and the fuel tank. I bought a allen socket kit from Harbor Freight last year for like $7. The set included a 14mm socket but the cool thing about the socket is that the allen hexagon feature can be separated from the socket. There is a 2mm allen set screw that helps keep the allen hex in place. I had to lightly tap the hex out because it was a nice tight fit. I then placed the allen hex on the crank then took a 14mm wrench and rotated the crank.

Auto part Pipe Bumper Muffler Exhaust system
Cylinder Auto part

I also purchased a screwdriver ratchet set. Worked perfect for adjusting the valves. The screwdriver ratchet set cost me $4 at Harbor Freight.

Tool Tool accessory

I also had a trim remover tool I bought years ago to remove trim of a interior GM truck panel. I never used it since and now I use it for the Maverick interior panels to remove the plastic pins. This tool works great. I keep it in my tool bag in the Maverick now. I bought this tool at Oreilly's Auto Parts but I don't remember how much I paid for it. I'm sure there is a cheap Harbor Freight version of this tool.

Tool

· Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm very glad that I did my own 10 hour service. Peace of mind that I know all the tasks were done and done right at least per the service manual instructions. One thing I found odd about Can Am's service intervals in the owners manual is that they don't mention to grease the zerk fittings on the suspension at any interval. I greased all my zerk fittings including the drive shaft as pointed out in the 10 hour service chart. During my 10 hour service inspection nothing was out of tolerance or a cause of concern with the exception of my driver side seat latch. It does not spring back well like my passenger side seat latch. I took a closer look at the latch and the spring is either damage or not twisted enough to give enough spring back on the latch lever.

The other thing to consider. You will get gear box oil and engine oil on the inside of the skid plate. You should remove it to do the oil changes. Besides, its a good time to check out the bottom of the Maverick to see things you cant otherwise see. I found 2 extra push pins that the assembly plant obviously dropped while assembling my Maverick. I also had a extra unused nylon nut.

· Registered
7,381 Posts
Nice job and appreciate the tips. One question, you said everything was in spec. How many miles and hours do you have on it? The service manager and my dealership told me to wait until I hit around 17 hours or even better, hit 225 to 250 miles. He said, anything less than that and he wasn't seeing the engine breaking in yet and the valves typically would not need adjustment yet....

· Registered
1,777 Posts
At the 10 hour service I performed, My Maverick had 16 hours and 221 miles. My exhaust valves were close to the median of the tolerance range so I didn't adjust those but my intake valves, although in tolerance were towards the ends of the tolerance range so I adjusted them back to the median of the tolerance range.

· Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks MiMav - did you notice any difference after the service? Does it idle any better or feel any different?

· Registered
1,777 Posts
I have not ridden it yet but I did start it up and it idled fine. It did seem more peppy but I could be wrong. The reason I think it has more pep now is that I almost hit my garbage can when I gave it a little gas. Scared the shit out of me that the Maverick jump on me like that. I did reset my "Maintenance Soon" message on my cluster. That was sort of a pain in the ass to do. I didn't like that when I finally reset it, no noise or lights flashed or anything, at least I didn't notice anything. The message is not there anymore at initial key start anyway.

· Registered
202 Posts
Bought mine on eBay today from green-manuals. Huge and nice. He sends a cd and emails a link to download. Over 1,000 pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
202 Posts
Did my service tonight. Factory skids, if u leave them on like I did trap oil everywhere. Next time I'll remove them. Hind sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
1,016 Posts
I did my 10hr service this last weekend and damn what a mess. My garage still smells like gear oil. I'm gonna hold off on the valves till I get to 20-25 hours

· Registered
202 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
My dealer wants 320$ for a complete 10 hr service. Thinking about just letting them do it...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Just something to think about. I highly encourage you to do the service yourself. If you look at the long list of maintenance checks that need to be done on pages 79-80 of the owners manual (2013 Maverick), very few of those checks can be detected that they were actually done. Other than replacing the fluids and evidence of grease on the grease fittings, you don't know that the dealer actually performed those checks. I'm not saying every dealer is dishonest in performing this service but you can find quite a few bad stories on this forum that would make you question if the work I paid for actually got done. If you have a close personal relationship with your dealer or mechanic and you don't mind paying to have it done then by all means do it. I think it's better to get to know your machine and know that the work was done and done right. Also by performing the service yourself and you can observe other areas of your machine to see if everything looks ok. I happen to find a very tiny coolant leak coming from one of my hoses while doing my service so I just tighten the clamp on the hose and no issues. I even decided to go through an make sure all my hose clamps were tight. This is something the dealer probably would not have done for me.

Another point is with all these large differences in dealer cost to service, I would question what the dealer actually did on your Maverick. Even if you get it in writing, you still don't know the dealer did all the checks.

· Registered
95 Posts
MiMav you make a lot of sense but I'm too old (68) to do much work on toys or even vehicles any more so my Xxc has 17.5 hours and 227 miles showing and I've got prices from $279-450 and like some here have stated how is one to know if all the work called for has been done and the other problem shared by cars and trucks is when the stealerships want to do far more than what Can Am calls for.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.