Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the valve cover gaskets in the Rotax 1000R are reusable? The manual does not mention replacing the gaskets and I have never torn into a Rotax twin before. I plan to take em off tomorrow.

At near 2000 miles the engine has a slight tick most noticable at around 3000 rpm, especially decelerating. And the engine has to be hot for the sound to start. Thought it may have been a small exaust leak but I dont think it's that. I do not think it's the valves either but I am going to go ahead and check the clearances while I have the rear bed off the machine and everything is easily accessible. I can at least stroke valve clearance off the list 100% for sure after checking.

I went over the engine with a stethoscope but I cant seem to pin point the noise.

Machine is a 2019 Maverick Sport 1000R.

It's under warranty so I had a dealer check it. Buy no problem found if course...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I reused mine when I checked the valves, they're pretty heavy duty. My intakes were pretty much at spec the exhaust were a little loose at 600 miles. I have the 19 1000R.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did end up reusing them yes. I'm sure they will be fine. Pretty heavy duty like you said for valve cover gaskets.

I did find one exaust valve a little out of spec on the rear cylinder but on the tight side for whatever reason for me. Engine seems to definitely run better now and that noise I was chasing seems to be improved. I will take it for a good rip soon and get a better idea.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took her for a good rip. The slight ticking/rattle sound is still present in the background but I'm done chasing that issue. It's almost unnoticeable and could be anything.

However that 1 exaust valve with the out of spec clearance helped alot after being adjusted. Increased the clearance back into specs and the engine sounds and runs better. Gave me quite a bit of power back. Definitely sounds more normal and smooth.

I have been adding on a lot of stuff like trunk cover, bumpers, spare tire, recovery equipment etc. I thought the power loss may have been from add ons maybe. But the valve adjustment gave me back a fair amount of balls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts