Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to change the engine oil and filter, front and rear diff fluid, gearbox fluid, and adjust the valves at 10 hours or 200 miles. I'm at 17 hours and 300 miles, so I'm doing mine now.
From what I've read, dealers usually charge $500 for this. I spent $100 on fluids and oil filter.
I only did the diff's today, and the oil in both were quite dirty! The front diff has a plug on the bottom that I used a 3/16 Allen wrench. The fill plug took a T40. The rear took a T30 for the drain, and a T40 for the filler. The front drain might have been a Tsomething. I tried every standard and metric Allen I had, and none fit.
I put 17oz in the front, and 14oz in the rear per the manual. It didn't run out of the filler, but I stuck a Allen in there and it was close to the top.
AGAIN, THE DIFF OIL WAS VERY DIRTY.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went ahead and had the dealer do my 10 hour service. Not sure if this is 100% true but he claimed there is an ecu/timing adjustment that can only be done through their computer at the 10 hour mark.
After this one I will be doing my own services.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It is actually important to have the dealer complete the 10hr service if you have a warranty. They "can" potentially void your warranty if they don't do it, since they would have no way of knowing it was done or done correctly. just a thought.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I will be taking mine in for the service in the next couple of weeks. I have 12 hours and a little over 200 miles on it. Heading out to the hard pack tomorrow for the day to play around then parking it until I get the service done. My dealer told me $580.00 for the first service. Anyone in San Diego get a lower price for the first service? I will def. be doing my own after the first. I am only getting the first one done by the dealership to avoid any warranty issues down the road.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The manual says " should" be serviced by the dealer, not "must". I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and as long as you keep receipts of the oil and filter you purchased, your covered.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The manual says " should" be serviced by the dealer, not "must". I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and as long as you keep receipts of the oil and filter you purchased, your covered.
Are you going to check the valves too? What brand of oils did you buy? Maybe I will do the diffs and engine and let the dealer check the valves.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll do the valves too. I got the oil at Pepboys. They had motorcycle oil in the same section as the diff oil and grease. The manual says sl, sm, or sj motor oil, and they had Mobile 1 that was perfect. For the diff's, it needs to be gl5 rated. 80-90 synthetic. The transmission takes gl5 rated 80-140. The manual has all the info on the Can Am oils, as well as what you need if you are like me and just want to go to your local store and buy it. I just wrote down all the info from the manual like what weight and gl or api rating, and then went shopping. They did not have an oil filter though.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah I know, but the manual and your warranty are 2 different things. Also, the word "should" infers it is highly recommended. For me,its just good insurance for the dealer to take care of the first one, so there is NO question about it. It also really depends a lot on your relationship with your dealer. But there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I wouldn't even trust my local dealer to change the oil, much less anything else!
i agree 100%. when purchasing my T4 and Macerick this last year i knew more than the dealer salesman and service tech when i had the T4 recall work done. The dealers need more trainning or need to read forums often.

on a side note i will be changing my fluids myself but the valve adjustment will be done by Weller Racing.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I wouldn't even trust my local dealer to change the oil, much less anything else!
Then it makes sense for you.
I have had both good & bad issues with this kind of thing way back in the past. So for me it was a lesson learned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts