Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing my 10 hour service and I pulled what I thought was the drain plug or oil level verify for the gearbox but it was neither. Some oil came out although not much. This is located directly above the engine oil drain (found it) on the passenger side of the engine. Looks like it may be an oil pressure regulator spring or something.

DSCN1276.JPG DSCN1277.JPG

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
idk but I think ur looking for the white plastic drain plug for the gear box oil passenger side

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idk but I think ur looking for the white plastic drain plug for the gear box oil passenger side
No, this is forward of that and it had motor oil behind it. I'm just getting ready to pull that plastic plug to fill the gear box.
Maintenance isn't as easy as I'd hoped. Bummer you can't remove the center skid so oil doesn't get all over everything as it's draining. Also wound up pulling plastic fuel tank cover to make it easier to get to the oil filter. Only takes a couple more minutes and makes it a lot easier.
After I get fluids back in the gear box and motor I'll start on the pumpkins.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looked it up on a parts microfiche. Looks like an oil pressure relief valve
OK that sounds right. I thought it looked similar to my buddies Razr S 'oil thingy'. The Polaris has an issue where the plunger in that valve can stick and the oil pressure goes to the moon. On my friend's, when the plunger stuck the oil pressure went over 100 psi and literally blew out the seams on his oil filter. He lost 2 quarts of oil just backing it out of the driveway.

Now I have to vent about the maintenance on these things. It's to hard to get access to the drains and level plugs. Worse, the oil pukes all over the center/ metal skids on the engine, rear diff and gear drive when you drain them. Makes a heck of a mess that's impossible to clean up because you just can't get in there and wipe it all clean. The owner's manual, well I didn't see in there anywhere where it show's how to change the front or rear diff. I can figure it out but shouldn't that be in there. The front diff had a drain plug, I think right on the bottom of the diff, or there looked to be one on the side of the diff. Couldn't really get a allen wrench on the side screw so I pulled the one on the bottom. Tried a 4mm, then a 5 mm. Crap nothing works but a 3/16" allen fits perfectly. Why is that? The oil level plug needed a 6 mm allen, same as the rear and the rear drain used a 5mm allen that could only be used coming at it from the front. Twist your arms in there and get er done, any contortiounist would make it look easy.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyhow, the valve adjustment looks pretty accessible so I may dive into that in the morning. Just wondering what the best way to turn the motor and line up the marks is. Looks like the timing cover is on the passenger side and there's a large allen screw in the center of that cover plate that may be hiding everything I need to get the job done. Is that correct?

Hey even after all this garbage I'm having a pretty good day. Sold the Teryx to the first guy to come and check it out. Sure gonna miss that ride but I feel better about it when I look at the Maverick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyhow, the valve adjustment looks pretty accessible so I may dive into that in the morning. Just wondering what the best way to turn the motor and line up the marks is. Looks like the timing cover is on the passenger side and there's a large allen screw in the center of that cover plate that may be hiding everything I need to get the job done. Is that correct?

Hey even after all this garbage I'm having a pretty good day. Sold the Teryx to the first guy to come and check it out. Sure gonna miss that ride but I feel better about it when I look at the Maverick.
You are corect about the allen plug on yhe passenger side. It is a 14mm and I took a 3/8" bolt and drilled out an old socket so i could slide the threaded end in the socket and welded them together. The hex is just just slightly big I just touched each flat with a 80 grit sanding disc and it fit perfectly. The crank has the same 14mm hex in it and you can use it to turn the engine over .

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are corect about the allen plug on yhe passenger side. It is a 14mm and I took a 3/8" bolt and drilled out an old socket so i could slide the threaded end in the socket and welded them together. The hex is just just slightly big I just touched each flat with a 80 grit sanding disc and it fit perfectly. The crank has the same 14mm hex in it and you can use it to turn the engine over .

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Valve adjustment goes pretty simple. Had to make a 14mm allen tool with a 3/8" bolt as 'blazer' did and 2 of the valve cover bolts on the front cylinder take awhile to get off but other than that pretty easy. Never found any timing marks so I just turned the engine over and watched the valves. Open exhaust, close exhaust, open intake, close intake and then turn another 90 degrees and that's a pretty good bet for TDC or at least have the valves off the cam lobe. Valves were pretty close as they were. Rear exhaust was at .007 so I set both at .006. Had one intake at .003 and another at .005 and I set both at .004. Starts clean and sounds quiet so I think I got it good. Sure was a lot easier than doing valves on my Teryx. Now it's time to ride again.
Best tool to have to make all this work easier. An $8 push pin removal tool from Harbor Freight. Saves a bunch of time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I did my valves today as well. You have to pull the crank sensor to find the timing marks. My valves were way out. Most of them tight. I don't think my dealer knew what they were doing when they did them. One plus is now that I adjusted them it doesn't stall out anymore! Ill be calling them tmrw to have a little talk with them. I didn't drive to my dealer twice(60 miles away one way) for them to mess up the valves the first time and then bring it back to them the second time for it stalling and get it back the same way!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try and remember that for the next time. Whenever that is, I think 100 hours.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Reactions: Vegasx4seater
1 - 14 of 14 Posts