Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the 10 hour service on my Maverick. The owners manual is somewhat vague on some specifications and capacities. Here is what I pieced together. Might help you out fishing out the right tools:

FRONT DIFFERENTIAL:
Oil Specification: 75w-90 Synthetic
Used: Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90
Capacity: 17 oz
Fill: 6mm allen wrench
Drain: 3/16" allen wrench or T-30 Torx
Appeared to be two drains. I drained the bottom first. Nothing came out of the side drain.
Note: Factory oil came out clear

REAR DIFFERENTIAL:
Oil Specification: 75w-140 Synthetic
Used: Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-140
Capacity: 11.7 oz
Fill: 6mm allen wrench
Drain: 5mm allen wrench
Note: Factory oil came out cloudy

GEARBOX:
Oil Specification: 75w-140 API GL5 Synthetic
Used: Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-140
Capacity: 15.2 oz
Fill: 15mm allen wrench (Plastic bolt)
Drain: 13mm allen wrench
Note: Factory oil came out cloudy

ENGINE:
Oil Specification: 5w-40 Synthetic
Used: Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic
Capacity: 2.3 qts
Drain: 17mm
Note: Factory oil came out clear. Oil filter pukes all over the water pump and side case on removal. No clear shot to drain. Easier to access by removing factory skid plate below and accessing oil filter cover from under the unit.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
good info !

·
Registered
228 Posts
don't you have to use a fluid that has limited slip additive for the front diff?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you use Amsoil 4 stroke 0-40w. and do you need to replace the O-ring and the drian plug washer as the say to? The filter i bought doesnt have the o-ring. Another thing the Oil change Kit by can am will that work on the Mavrick? 58.00 for the all season is not a bad price comes with everything.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Amsoil 0-40 is the bomb, I reused the filter o-ring no problem, the aluminum drain washer is plenty soft to use a few times.

I used 75w-140 in the rear due to the heat it generates. I might use Shock Proof 190W next time....

·
Registered
4 Posts
new maverick owner and trying to do my own maintenance. The owners manual is not clear on the front differential where the drain and fill lines are. I'm guessing the drain is way below with access hole in the skid plate and the fill line is through the vent line? If the vent line is the fill line also, the vent line appears a bit hard to take off so i'm a little leary....any comments/suggestions?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
do a search on here…there are a few videos on the differentials….

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for posting that. it was a handy reference. I used a regular ball end allen wrench for the diff plugs and turned it by putting the short bent end in a 12mm box wrench to break them loose and tignten them back up. Also, get a 3/8" hose to fill the diffs and gearbox... the 1/4" one that i used was like trying to push a soup can through a garden hose, and took a long time to squeeze that 75-140 through it. I also used a bunch of Pig mat (oil absorbant mat) to help contain the drooling mess of oil that gets all over your skid plates and work area. Jacking up the passenger side to pull the oil filter definately helped contain the mess. MRRPM spin on conversion on the way to make life a little easier next time! Wish I had the foresight to have had it on hand for this service, but I'll install it on the next one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts