Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first ride with windshield and cat delete , after 10 minutes of riding I said heck with this burning eye thing , lol

i removed the windshield and good to go :)

raw gas smell was bad

just giving heads up ,

217.JPG

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the cat delete and a full and half windshield,I don't smell raw full,I've put over 300 miles with them mods

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Probably that spicy west coast food.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Smelling raw fuel can't be good. I'd investigate that asap.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seen a few others say something about fuel smell with windshield , but didn't know if there was something wrong with there maverick or if it was normal , lol

didn't smell anything with out windshield

·
Registered
968 Posts
Under the hood find the fuel tank breather, which is white plastic, get some rubber or vinyl hose and add a pice to the end and run it down the right side wheel area. Problem solved. You notice the smell because the windshield, nothing to do with the cat delete. Raw fuel will drip out of that breather and you smell it because of the windshield. Mine and my friends both did it, they put the breather up high, but it sends the vapors into the cab.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A lot of first run Mavericks had a fuel leak from where the filler spout meets the tank. I think there may have been a service bulletin about it. I had my tank replaced on warranty.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Also I recommend running the rear bug screen to reduce backdraft when running 1/2 windshield……. Full Vinyl rear window with full windshield.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I seen a few others say something about fuel smell with windshield , but didn't know if there was something wrong with there maverick or if it was normal , lol

didn't smell anything with out windshield

I run the 1/2 windsheild and have never smelled raw fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I run a half windshield with a gutted cat and I get the raw fuel smell in the cab, sometimes smells like old fuel. Of course with the cat on it was rotten eggs in the cab but would go away at higher rpm. Now it's a strong old un-burnt smell that is always there, and I have new fuel 3 days old and it smells bad. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I run a half windshield with a gutted cat and I get the raw fuel smell in the cab, sometimes smells like old fuel. Of course with the cat on it was rotten eggs in the cab but would go away at higher rpm. Now it's a strong old un-burnt smell that is always there, and I have new fuel 3 days old and it smells bad. Oh well.

Same here - I think it's that fuel vent line that was mentioned above ima try moving that for next windshield ride

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Under the hood find the fuel tank breather, which is white plastic, get some rubber or vinyl hose and add a pice to the end and run it down the right side wheel area. Problem solved. You notice the smell because the windshield, nothing to do with the cat delete. Raw fuel will drip out of that breather and you smell it because of the windshield. Mine and my friends both did it, they put the breather up high, but it sends the vapors into the cab.
added the extra piece thx man !

·
Registered
107 Posts
im 90 percent sure its the vent line cause mine does it every now and then since brand new and it only does it when I get into the gas for a split second then gone first noticed at 60 miles on the odo. with and without half windshield and mesh back, im going to extent the vent line wrap it it in a couple loops and move it down it should cure it, hopefully

·
Registered
791 Posts
I could smell raw gas strong when my fuel tank was leaking from the filler spout weld, but that is the only time I ever have with any combo of windshield or vent line setup

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is aerodynamics. With the windshield on it creates a backdraft into the cab, with doors it is amplified. If you cut holes into windshield it remove bottom seal it will fix the problem.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya I have my windshield mounted up a few inches to help with flow , what I think it was , was the fuel vent hose end I zip tied it up by the air box not knowing what it was for , so I added a piece of hose to the end and ran it down the frame , I think when I zip tied it up last year it made the smell come in the cab more with a windshield ,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts