Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, I’m hearing a “clunk” when I shift into high. Its not everytime. 75miles, 5 hrs on machine. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Should I pause a little longer to let rpm’s settle?

thanks for helping with another newb question

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes it need to be at idle. If the idle is high or the belt is engaging at idle could be the issue.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Pull belt cover and see if rear pulley is spinning at idle. It should only spin when you rev it up, then stop within a few seconds after it's at idle. While your in there, get familiar with how to change the belt.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
"let the RPMs settle?"

Yes. Only shift it at idle. If its not at idle, the belt is spinning which means the secondary is spinning, which means the gears in the trans are spinning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Restarting this thread as the clunk is still there, even when coming to a full stop for several seconds. It doesnt happen every time. It seems after I put into H, when I apply throttle is when it happens.

Just trying to confirm if this is normal. Taking to dealer next week and may have them look at it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not yet pulled the clutch cover. Noticed it yesterday when machine was kicked out of garage and sent packing to the barn...

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
So you didn’t even try any of the suggestions? Main one being pull the clutch cover. It’s not gonna fix itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just as the title says, I’m hearing a “clunk” when I shift into high. Its not everytime. 75miles, 5 hrs on machine. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Should I pause a little longer to let rpm’s settle?

thanks for helping with another newb question
I have the same problem, it's always on a cold start.

I will put it in drive or reverse, rev the engine lightly and it wont move for about 5 seconds, then clunk it moves. I thought it could be my brakes sticking but it could be the rubber band wheels not engaging. I started a thread about it (brakes sticking). Once my cart is warmed up / moved... it wont clunk when I engage the throttle.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have the same problem, it's always on a cold start.

I will put it in drive or reverse, rev the engine lightly and it wont move for about 5 seconds, then clunk it moves. I thought it could be my brakes sticking but it could be the rubber band wheels not engaging. I started a thread about it (brakes sticking). Once my cart is warmed up / moved... it wont clunk when I engage the throttle.
That sounds like a stuck helix or broken rollers or maybe just a simple cleaning. That clutch need to be checked.

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
82 Posts
Mine did that too in the beginning, I discovered that I needed to blow out the clutches because they got caked with dust and debris (desert riding) it even got better when I ditched the OEM 651 belt for the "Worlds Best Belt" from EVO. I think the 651 belt was acting like a stretchy rubber band. I also scrubbed the inside clutch scheevs <sp> with a green scotch brite and wiped down with brake cleaner on the rag. Problem solved.

Suggest doing what previous posters above advised. Just like DizzleDog1 said it ain't gonna fix itself!

Jason

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had a similar grinding noise for a long time. Only when shifting from low to high. Doesn't do it if I roll forward in gear without throttle or shift to neutral before high. Will try cleaning the sheevs to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My friend just took his in under warranty for the same thing. They said they replaced the primary clutch bearing. It works fine now. Something to look at .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took to dealer yesterday for fluid changes, it’s still under warranty. Shifted into H and it made a slight clunk. Repeated it several times. The guy checking me in stated he would have tech’s look it. He also stated he thought it was normal, that it won’t shift as smoothly as a car.

Thanks to you all, I think he’s full of BS.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Took to dealer yesterday for fluid changes, it’s still under warranty. Shifted into H and it made a slight clunk. Repeated it several times. The guy checking me in stated he would have tech’s look it. He also stated he thought it was normal, that it won’t shift as smoothly as a car.

Thanks to you all, I think he’s full of BS.
Welcome to the club of "Dealer service BS"
Have them go start up a couple other new ones in front of you to see if they do the same thing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They dont shift as smoothly as a car. Who said they did?

Nobody said so verbatim...a few posts above implied there should not be that noise when shifting.

im going to have them start a few in front of me as mentioned above

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
That really won’t work either comparing a brand new buggy to a used one . I assure you what you are hearing is normal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts