Oceano/Pismo closing to OHV 7/11
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Oceano/Pismo closing to OHV 7/11 within the West / West Coast Owners forums, part of the Maverick Regional Forums category; So the word all over social media is its really happening this time. CA coastal comission is shutting down all OHV activity. I’m not a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Oceano/Pismo closing to OHV 7/11

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1387 times

So the word all over social media is its really happening this time. CA coastal comission is shutting down all OHV activity. I’m not a regular but have been there many times over my life and have a lot of great memories of that place. Sad to see it go. I know the local economy will really suffer from this. There is an online petition but could not find a link. If anyone knows please post it up.
    X3 XDS.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3600 times
    Sandman_73 and Sandbox_Kid like this.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4263 times
    done

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1430 times
    I’m born and raised there in pismo, grew up 3 miles from the oceano ramp and the California Pelosi / coastal commission mentality has ruined that bankrupt state and worse they are leaving Cali with their big $$$$ and trying the same BS here in Idaho when they move here. It’s not enough that they have every other inch of beach in the entire state, the snowy plover has population counts in the millions up and down the pacific coastline and OHV people always have to pay their own way for access unlike the Subaru driving hikers, walkers, bike riders, bird viewers, surfers etc.... that all benefit from the paid services we help provide for them from our fees. The brown pit shitters get pumped by the tird ferry and all the boardwalks don’t need maintenance or upkeep. It’s to bad for all the local businesses that will close as a result as you might as well keep driving and go on to either Morro Bay, los osos, Cambria, Santa Barbara or wherever to enjoy the surf or beach life!!

Rant over,
    17' triple black X3 XRS - longest lasting SxS I have ever had as it still make me smile every-time I drive it!!

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood X3 View Post

Signed. Thanks for sharing.
    Hollywood X3 likes this.
    2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 Max X DS Turbo R

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    722 times
    Done and done
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    Liked
    203 times
    The costal commission is having a meeting on Pismo July 11th on what actions to take not closing it down on the 11th!
    Here are some of the changes there staff is recommending to be changed?

Here's a clip of the article to read the full story here's the link....
    https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...231911398.html

Some of those initial changes would include:

• Increasing enforcement of all vehicular use limits, speed limits and other vehicular requirements; would also call for additional signs, rangers and parameters for verifying that the number of vehicles in the park doesn’t exceed maximum allowances.
    • Adding fencing to protect coastal resources.
    • Prohibiting night riding from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.
    • Stopping OHV and camping operations when the Arroyo Grande Creek flows to prevent creek crossings.
    • Reducing vehicular and OHV daily use limits depending on acreage that is available for use that day due to dust control requirements or other exclosures (prohibited areas).
    • Eliminating holiday unlimited vehicular and OHV use exceptions on Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Thanksgiving.
    • Considering entrance modifications that could provide vehicular access to the park while reducing coastal resource impacts.
    • Making 300-acre seasonal endangered special exclosure area permanent and restore the area to natural habitat.
    • Allowing for future closures for required dust control for all areas specified by the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District.

These changes would act as a first step toward eventually phasing out “high-intensity OHV use.”
    Carl said this doesn’t necessarily mean all vehicles would be phased out from the park.
    “We think a transition that allows for car camping could provide for a really cool feature for the public and for those that like to camp at Oceano Dunes,” he said. “There’s a great history of that.”
    All of the recommendations are up to the Coastal Commission, however, Carl noted. They could choose to not implement any of the changes, or could choose to recommend more significant ones to park operations.

If the Commission decides to approve staff recommendation at its upcoming meeting, the ball would then be in State Park’s court for implementation. Carl said the goal would be to have most of the changes in place by October or December.
    18 X3 XRS....
    Tube frame monster manx street legal 400hp off road car...
    2010 Jeep Rubicon with dual sport set up...

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1387 times
    The best thing they could do is open back up the 13,500 acres they stole back in 1985. With only 1500 acres is too congested and why there are so many problems.
    sand shark likes this.
    X3 XDS.

Member #
    Liked
    3607 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman_73 View Post
    The best thing they could do is open back up the 13,500 acres they stole back in 1985. With only 1500 acres is too congested and why there are so many problems.
    The good old days of Pismo when you could ride down the beach to Devil's Slide. I grew up going to Pismo and we stopped going right before the took away most of the riding area. I still go every few years and it seems the riding area continues to shrink.

The Coastal Commission has way too much power. Why do we pay the green sticker fees, if they can just come in and close the state designated OHV parks?

My prediction is the riding area will remain and they will limit the amount of people that can use it.
    Mega made me get Skats and a tune
    Skats for life now

Thanks for the quote Tim - "Have a unicorny, rainbowey day!"

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrav73 View Post
    I’m born and raised there in pismo, grew up 3 miles from the oceano ramp and the California Pelosi / coastal commission mentality has ruined that bankrupt state and worse they are leaving Cali with their big $$$$ and trying the same BS here in Idaho when they move here. It’s not enough that they have every other inch of beach in the entire state, the snowy plover has population counts in the millions up and down the pacific coastline and OHV people always have to pay their own way for access unlike the Subaru driving hikers, walkers, bike riders, bird viewers, surfers etc.... that all benefit from the paid services we help provide for them from our fees. The brown pit shitters get pumped by the tird ferry and all the boardwalks don’t need maintenance or upkeep. It’s to bad for all the local businesses that will close as a result as you might as well keep driving and go on to either Morro Bay, los osos, Cambria, Santa Barbara or wherever to enjoy the surf or beach life!!

Rant over,

Didn’t know you were a CA boy. When did you escape Commifornia Matt?
    X3 XDS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links