Best X3 Air Filter on the Market? Is this one it? - Page 2
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Best X3 Air Filter on the Market? Is this one it?

This is a discussion on Best X3 Air Filter on the Market? Is this one it? within the BlackMarketUTV forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Supporting Vendors category; Open style filters flow great when they are clean but they dirty quickly and their efficiency goes down the tubes in a hurry....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Best X3 Air Filter on the Market? Is this one it?

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1353 times
    Open style filters flow great when they are clean but they dirty quickly and their efficiency goes down the tubes in a hurry.
    X3 XDS.

Member #
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PropDr View Post
    Interesting: Thin air can't get through a filter with the largest surface are...
    Doesn't matter how much surface area you have if the less dense air can't make it through the media, especially on a forced air application. Swapped back to a stock filter box and regular donaldson and it was right where it should have been. Breath through a straw for a day and let me know how that goes. Enough arguing over whether it works or not, If it works for you great.

Parts - Accessories - Builds

http://www.peakoffroadperformance.com

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman_73 View Post
    Open style filters flow great when they are clean but they dirty quickly and their efficiency goes down the tubes in a hurry.
    And this filter type is nothing but a bunch of tubes sealed on alternating ends.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude! View Post
    Doesn't matter how much surface area you have if the less dense air can't make it through the media, especially on a forced air application. Swapped back to a stock filter box and regular donaldson and it was right where it should have been. Breath through a straw for a day and let me know how that goes. Enough arguing over whether it works or not, If it works for you great.
    You misunderstand my comment, this Is interesting to me.
    We use this filter type extensively at sea level and have been doing so mainly by recommendation without performing in house testing; if there is an issue we need to look in to it.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3601 times
    The powercore is far from the most surface area. Air only comes in the top of it, not all around it like most others. I have a 3" intake tube, so no restriction there. No airbox either. 3" then just straight into a neckdown for the cold side inlet with the open air filter behind the drivers head. After very little use, I was seeing 10lbs less boost than what I was supposed to be at. 12psi instead of 22psi. Put a blue Donaldson filter on that was made for the stock airbox on a rzr, and bam, all of my 23lbs of boost were back instantly. This was at 4500 elevation. I did have the powercore on a sea level for a short time and while I did not lose 10lbs of boost, I did feel like it wasn't what it was supposed to be. I have no doubt the car would now be faster at sea level as well. In industrial applications, where max flow is not required, and max filtration is required, this is a good option, but it gets clogged up very quick.
    BlackMarketUTV and The Dude! like this.
    2017 X3 XRS

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    I get your point, but the power core filters surface area is not determined by the diameter, it is the length of each tube and the quantety therof.
    The idea behind the power core filter is that you can use a denser filter material if you increase the surface area to offset the higher restriction.
    Maybe it is not working as designed.
    Last edited by PropDr; 06-12-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PropDr View Post
    I get your point, but the power core filters surface area is not determined by the diameter, it is the length of each tube and the quantety therof.
    The idea behind the power core filter is that you can use a denser filter material if you increase the surface area to offset the higher restriction.
    Maybe it is not working as designed.
    I understand if you are saying there is more surface area inside the cylinder, but there is still only one way for air to get into it, and that is through the top.
    2017 X3 XRS

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    On my X3 I got a 6" power core filter. it has pleats from the outer diameter layered all the way to the center; the surface area is that times the height of that filter.
    A common 6" filter has only one layer of pleats on the outer circumference times the height of that filter, but you can multiply that only once.
    The inlet size on my filter is about 5.5", the outlet side is 3"; in between is all that surface area of filter material.

I have a power core filter on my truck, I got over 50K miles on it; it still measures a nearly zero pressure delta.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3601 times
    I will pull 1 of the 2 powercore filters out of my trash can tonight and take pictures. Maybe we are talking about different filters. If you are using the one I am, and are in sandy conditions, I hope you are ok with low power.
    2017 X3 XRS

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post
    I will pull 1 of the 2 powercore filters out of my trash can tonight and take pictures. Maybe we are talking about different filters. If you are using the one I am, and are in sandy conditions, I hope you are ok with low power.
    That would be much appreciated!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links