Two New Vehicles, Two Drivetrain Failures in Two Days - Page 2
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Two New Vehicles, Two Drivetrain Failures in Two Days

This is a discussion on Two New Vehicles, Two Drivetrain Failures in Two Days within the Race Cars / Street Machines / Boats forums, part of the MaverickForums Off-Topic category; Originally Posted by AZSteele Hey, I'm not in charge of Murphy, but I'll share a bunch of beer with you and talk shit about the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Two New Vehicles, Two Drivetrain Failures in Two Days

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSteele View Post
    Hey, I'm not in charge of Murphy, but I'll share a bunch of beer with you and talk shit about the 'lil Irish terrorist.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    If ever I'm in Arizona, I'll take you up on that.
    AZSteele likes this.
    2018 Can Am Maverick X3 900 HO, ProBox Top X3F4 #1, LinQ 8 Cooler, 3" Lift Kit, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, GoPro Hero 5, Upgraded 29" Bighorn 2.0 & 14" OEM X3 Beadlocks

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Update: So, Mikes called it. The Harley had an oil transfer issue. The tranny was low and the primary was overfilled. The dealership added a vent to the tranny and performed the 1000 mile service for free. There's more to this but it's a long story. The truck didn't fare any better. On the first visit, they replaced the axle bearings in the rear end. Then, the limited slip rear end began chattering (vibrating the truck) anytime I turned from a stop. So on the second visit, they replaced the ring and pinion gears, at least, that's what they told me. At any rate, the truck seems to be driving fine now. But, they stressed I need to keep the truck below 50 mph while towing during the first 500 miles to break it in which is what I did in the first F****** place and that didn't work out so well. So, now I'm back to hauling my 10,000 lbs toy hauler down back roads barely wide enough to handle a VW bug at 50 mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    canamk likes this.
    2018 Can Am Maverick X3 900 HO, ProBox Top X3F4 #1, LinQ 8 Cooler, 3" Lift Kit, Seizmik Pursuit Mirrors, GoPro Hero 5, Upgraded 29" Bighorn 2.0 & 14" OEM X3 Beadlocks

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    If you're pulling all the time I would trade that truck off that's one of the fiat ( ram) truck's they used coil spring instead of leaf springs in the rear and they have had nothing but trouble with them when you pull often... if you like ram get one with leaf springs in the rear otherwise you will continue to have trouble with your rear end if you pull with it often

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal16 View Post
    If you're pulling all the time I would trade that truck off that's one of the fiat ( ram) truck's they used coil spring instead of leaf springs in the rear and they have had nothing but trouble with them when you pull often... if you like ram get one with leaf springs in the rear otherwise you will continue to have trouble with your rear end if you pull with it often
    The truck spends most of its time in the garage unless I'm towing. The only complaint about coil springs I know of pertain to stability, not reliability. This is my third RAM diesel pulling heavy loads but it is the first time I pulled a heavy load with a bumper pull trailer (the others were goose neck). I had an issue at first with stability (swaying) until I scaled the truck and trailer and discovered I had 750 lbs of tongue weight pulling a 10,000 lbs trailer. Since I shifted the weight forward and got the tongue weight over 1,000 lbs, I haven't had any trouble. So, I'm curious why you'd think that?

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal16 View Post
    Coils can have an issue with high center of gravity loads, such as a tall, heavy truck camper, but they should be on a 1 ton anyway. I had a 2015 2500 with coils and pulled a gooseneck toy hauler that was well over its ratings, at 23,160 combined, and almost 8,200 lbs on the drive axle with ZERO issues with stability or durability. I put bags on to level it out, but it did fine with the bags dialed down. I have been on the TDR and various truck forums for a long time, and there are plenty of folks running heavy on a daily basis with 2500s on coils. GMAFB

Ram buys their HD axles from AAM, which is the old GM axle division that was spun off. They should have stuck with Dana.
    Hollywood X3 and Sooner like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links