Need real world advice/experiences towing enclosed trailers
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Need real world advice/experiences towing enclosed trailers within the Tow Rigs / Haulers / RVs forums, part of the MaverickForums Off-Topic category; Good Morning, I am looking into an enclosed trailer to haul my two future Maverick Trails inside of. I have narrowed the choices down to ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Need real world advice/experiences towing enclosed trailers

Member #

Good Morning,
    I am looking into an enclosed trailer to haul my two future Maverick Trails inside of. I have narrowed the choices down to go with the EZ Hauler 8.5x20 aluminum v nose that's made by Mission Trailers. I called Mission and was told that their tongue weights on these units run between 7-10% empty. The trailer that I am looking at has an unloaded curb weight of only 2,131lbs which @ 10% is 213lbs. As I mentioned earlier, I am hauling two Maverick Trails inside that will weigh at a max 3,000lbs full of fluids and with a couple of accessories added on. For safety sakes, I would add another hundred or two pounds for tools, spare parts, coolers, riding gear etc. Since the two UTVs are just under 20'(19' 7") nose to tail, I will need to use every bit of the available space possibly including a little bit of the v nose in the front for the bumper. I am needing to go with the aluminum trailer due to a lower tongue weight as well as a lower curb weight to stay within the limits of my truck which has a 1,425lb payload and a 9,500lb tow rating. That said, I will be in the neighborhood of 5,200-5,500lbs at the curb loaded to go. Is there any way that I can get a good estimate of the tongue weight loaded at the mentioned totals? I do realize that the tongue weight is altered depending on the placement of the cargo on any trailer, but I just want to get an idea if I should just add in 10% of the additional 3,350 or so pounds. There will not be much adjusting of my cargo as the vehicles will pretty much take up the floor from nose to tail. I am not going to look at a larger trailer as I am using a 1/2 ton truck and am trying to stay within the legal limits. I could go with a diesel and get a larger trailer, but in that case, I could just get a pair of x3's and really spend over $100k for the truck, trailer & toys which is not in my radar. Your thoughts are appreciated!
    BTW, Here's a link to the trailer in question:
    https://www.scottsrecreation.com/def...=xAllInventory

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    998 times
    You might ask the guys your buying it from ,give them the weights and dimensions, Im not familiar with the trail engine placement ,if they're like an x3 with engine in back then the heavy end of the car would be over the axles and the car in back will help counter the car in front , it would be nice to get brakes on both axles
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4663 times
    1/2 tons and towing anything over 5k is not recommended. 1/2 ton brakes are not made for heavy towing. I get it the rating says you can but the truck will weigh less than your trailer and you will be pushed around by wind and passing trucks. Good luck, please stay off the same roads me and my family frequent.
    AZSteele likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3968 times
    That is a nice enclosed trailer. The only downfall of the aluminum trailer is you can not get a weight distribution hitch set up. This would take most of the worry out of the tongue weight. I would put airbags on your truck, if you don't have them. It will make towing way better.

You will have to play with which way to load the SXSs and tools. Load it up and take it for a test drive and keep adjusting until you find which way works best.

I have towed way more than 5,500lbs with my 1/2 tons with no issues. I used a weigh distribution hitch and airbags. I use to tow a 24' toyhauler that loaded was at least 9000lbs. I did that for 4 years with two different 1/2 tons. The first was a V8 F150 and the second was a F150 with an Ecoboost. The Ecoboost towed way better. Gas mileage sucked with both.

Which 1/2 ton do you own?
    Tmesic likes this.
    Mega made me get Skats and a tune
    Skats for life now

Thanks for the quote Tim - "Have a unicorny, rainbowey day!"

Member #
    I actually have a 17' GMC Denali crew 4wd 6.2L v8. It has a low payload due to the magnetic ride I'm told, but it rides very smooth. I've owned three diesel trucks in the past, two 3/4 tons(14' Ram 2500 crew Cummins & 17' Chevy Silverado 2500 crew Duramax) and a 1 ton(07' Ram 3500 Cummins). Having to travel 100 miles or so per day with work in a less than stellar ride is not fun. Unloaded HD trucks feel like a bucking bronco going through a city with the rough roads, potholes and expansion joints that you have no choice but hit. I guess everyone better get used to the overinflated tow ratings on the half tons as I noticed where GM just rated their 2020 trucks as high as 13,400lbs! Heck, the 2019 GM 2500 HD trucks with the Duramax diesels in a loaded 4wd Denali Crew only rate at 13,000lbs tow and 1,980 payload according to the door decal. I was looking at the door jamb label on the 2019 GMC 1500 Sierra with the Max Tow option and the 6.2 v8 that has tow rates of 12,000lbs and payloads of 1,850lbs which rivals the HDs. The whole problem is that the "new" truck buyer that has never towed or has limited knowledge can only go off of what they see and hear. When the big three advertise high tow ratings on half tons, then the dealers will obviously tell the consumer the same thing and thus the cycle continues. The same thing goes for the 1 tons that are now over 35,000pounds! On top of that, they're advertising that the Adaptive Cruise Control can bring the truck to a complete stop while towing that huge load. Wow!!! Anyway, 5,000-5,500lbs shouldn't affect my truck much at all. If you drive sensible and pay attention, I can't see me having an issue. I have LT tires already installed and was contemplating air bags for the rear for extra security. I'm just concerned that I'll exceed my payload numbers for legal reasons. Thanks for the comments thus far...

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    5154 times
    I have 2 Superdutys and just offed my F150. Towing up to the max is no issue with the right equipment like SS said. I used to tow my Sand car trailer and sad car on it at over 7k with no issue on an F150, WITH air bags, weight distribution and dual brake axles.

I highly recommend dual brake axles on the trailer, it can be added quite easily.

Keep in mind some guys swallow heavy loads, I mean tow heavy loads with a Dodge 2500 Mega cab and they get by...

Tim
    Have a Delightful, Rainbowey, Unicorny day.

Love Tim

Me and My RC , whats good enough for other folk ain't good enough for me.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4663 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmesic View Post
    I have 2 Superdutys and just offed my F150. Towing up to the max is no issue with the right equipment like SS said. I used to tow my Sand car trailer and sad car on it at over 7k with no issue on an F150, WITH air bags, weight distribution and dual brake axles.

I highly recommend dual brake axles on the trailer, it can be added quite easily.

Keep in mind some guys swallow heavy loads, I mean tow heavy loads with a Dodge 2500 Mega cab and they get by...

Tim
    3500 dually MEGAcab handles the big loads your ferd is skeered of.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3856 times
    Holy shit you overthink things more than I do! I didn't think that was even possible!
    2017 X3 XRS

Member #
    Liked
    3968 times
    Quote Originally Posted by voltedge View Post
    I actually have a 17' GMC Denali crew 4wd 6.2L v8. It has a low payload due to the magnetic ride I'm told, but it rides very smooth. I've owned three diesel trucks in the past, two 3/4 tons(14' Ram 2500 crew Cummins & 17' Chevy Silverado 2500 crew Duramax) and a 1 ton(07' Ram 3500 Cummins). Having to travel 100 miles or so per day with work in a less than stellar ride is not fun. Unloaded HD trucks feel like a bucking bronco going through a city with the rough roads, potholes and expansion joints that you have no choice but hit. I guess everyone better get used to the overinflated tow ratings on the half tons as I noticed where GM just rated their 2020 trucks as high as 13,400lbs! Heck, the 2019 GM 2500 HD trucks with the Duramax diesels in a loaded 4wd Denali Crew only rate at 13,000lbs tow and 1,980 payload according to the door decal. I was looking at the door jamb label on the 2019 GMC 1500 Sierra with the Max Tow option and the 6.2 v8 that has tow rates of 12,000lbs and payloads of 1,850lbs which rivals the HDs. The whole problem is that the "new" truck buyer that has never towed or has limited knowledge can only go off of what they see and hear. When the big three advertise high tow ratings on half tons, then the dealers will obviously tell the consumer the same thing and thus the cycle continues. The same thing goes for the 1 tons that are now over 35,000pounds! On top of that, they're advertising that the Adaptive Cruise Control can bring the truck to a complete stop while towing that huge load. Wow!!! Anyway, 5,000-5,500lbs shouldn't affect my truck much at all. If you drive sensible and pay attention, I can't see me having an issue. I have LT tires already installed and was contemplating air bags for the rear for extra security. I'm just concerned that I'll exceed my payload numbers for legal reasons. Thanks for the comments thus far...
    5,500lbs will be no problem for that truck. E-rate tires on the truck and airbags and you will be set. You are not over the tow rating for the truck so I am not sure what legal concerns you would have.
    Mega made me get Skats and a tune
    Skats for life now

Thanks for the quote Tim - "Have a unicorny, rainbowey day!"

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1526 times
    3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks also have better engine and trans coolers, rear axle gear ratios and cool graphics
    17' triple black X3 XRS - longest lasting SxS I have ever had as it still make me smile every-time I drive it!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links