Looking for tire help
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Looking for tire help

This is a discussion on Looking for tire help within the Maverick Trail forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; I have read numerous tire threads here and elsewhere but frankly I am not nearly as technically inclined as most of you guys on this ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for tire help

Member #

Looking for tire help

I have read numerous tire threads here and elsewhere but frankly I am not nearly as technically inclined as most of you guys on this stuff and I get lost in the details. I ride mountain trails in CO, Utah and Wyoming. A mix of gravel roads, hard dirt, some mud, soft dirt, large rocks, small rocks, tree roots, wet rocks, stream crossings, etc. I am pretty moderate in my riding but some of the trails can get tight or steep or othrwise difficult. I have found the stock tires on My MT 1000 DPS to be lacking. Poor traction primarily and bits of the tread keep breaking off. I want to replace the tires to get something that works better. I cannot go any wider than current. i barely make it through some gates as is. I don't even have an inch of spare width. Any additional ground clearance would be welcome, so I would be happy going slightly taller, but not at the expense of much power or stability and I do not want to mess with gearing changes or anything else.

I was seriously looking at the Tusk terrabites in 27x9-12, Bighorn Maxxis in a 26x9-12 or a 27x9-12, but am also open to other ideas.

I welcome any input, keeping in mid that I don't want to buy new wheels and cannot go any wider.

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Objectives vary on replacement for OEM tires (and wheels), however 50" track MavT machines have challenges unique to this model. Seems most owners go taller for increased ground clearance, however doing that more than 1" OD will affect power to the ground. My buddy and I had other priorities for our MavT machines, as outlined in the thread topic below. In that, you'll see what I/we did plus my own "solution" on wheels and tires. So far, the Maxxis Coronado 8-ply rated tires I chose are barely showing any wear at all in several hundred miles. Others here are using Tusk Terabites with good results reported. Perhaps spend time reading prior related topics and bring yourself up to speed. In the end, its your choice...

Stability - wider tires?
    2018 MavT DPS 1000

Member #
    Thanks. I did actually spend quite a bit of time reading other posts. It seems most people who go and buy a 50" UTV then spend quite a bit of effort figuring out how to use spacers and lifters to put big tires on the things and make them into 60" UTVs. Very few discussions of the smaller tires and what works well for folks who need to stay within the original design parameters. I did see a number of posts about the terrabites and that is what got me interested in them, but I tried to describe my goals and riding styles to see if that generated any additional comments. I will look at the Coronados, although what I have read of them seems to suggest they are best suited to mud, soft dirt and sand which is not really my situation.

I assume going to a 27x9-12 all around will work out okay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Agreed on your comments and observations...

As to Tusk Terrabites in 27x9-12 tires on all 4 corners, check out the video at bottom by forum member @the_transporter within his series on MavT mods and trail fun. Maybe he'll chime in if there are other related questions.

The Maxxis Coronado tires and sizes I chose were based-on increased stability objectives while maintaining 26" diameter but also factoring this online review plus Maxxis' stated design usage. Certainly not just soft sand and mud, although they seem to function well in that. Also noting that Tusk Terrabite is DOT approved whereas Maxxis Coronado is not.
    UTVDriver: Maxxis Coronado Tire Review and Maxxis Coronado specs

"The Maxxis Coronado is the ultimate desert tire for your ATV or side-by-side. Brutal desert terrains are no match for the Coronado's long-wearing compound, formulated for high speeds and high temperatures. The tire's strong 8-ply rated radial carcass soaks up the shock from rocks and sand whoops for ultimate control, and ensures maximum puncture resistance in the face of thorns and sharp rocks. The Maxxis Coronado's aggressive tread pattern extends well over the shoulder area for increased sidewall protection and features stepped lugs to provide multiple biting edges. Steering performance is maximized by a rounded front tire profile that hooks up on flat turns and stays in ruts when necessary."

Last edited by DirtDawg; 06-07-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    2018 MavT DPS 1000

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    910 times
    I think the tusk terra bites would do a good job for what you want they are pretty tough too.
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I really think the Terrabites would work well for you. I'm a big fan of mine. It sounds like you run pretty much the same terrain i do, an i just have zero complaints with them, they continue to impress me. Around 1300 miles on them and they still look great. I'll buy another set when these wear out, no question about it.
    27x9-12 will keep you at stock width, you'll gain around 3/8 inch of ground clearance without adding too much weight. No need for a clutch kit. Plus (the best part in my opinion) they fit in the stock wheels, so for just over $400 it's a bargain in my opinion.
    DirtDawg likes this.
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I love truck LT tires. Very difficult to cut and last extremely long. I’m at 2500 hard miles no flats. I switched to LTs Federal Couragia MT and don’t regret a bit. The only issue is you would need 15” rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BLR
    Wherever our truck parks our trailer for the night
    Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    We run Terrabites in pretty much the same terrian and they work well..

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics
    Live each day as if it's your last

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I am currently running Terrabites on my rig in Montana (although 28”). I plan on sticking with them.

Member #
    What is the height difference from front to rear of the terrabite tires when putting the 27x9-12 on stock rims since front are 6 and rear is 7 1/2 rims? I'm thinking of going with 26x9-12 front and 26x11-12 bighorns on the stock rims (my trails don't have poles so a few inches wider won't hurt there). I would go 27 but bighorns seem to measure true to size or bigger on the smaller tires.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links