Tires for the dunes recommendation
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Tires for the dunes recommendation within the Maverick XRC forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; Hi everyone Did a few searches in the XRC forum here for "dunes" and "sand tires" and "paddles" but haven't found much. I just bought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Tires for the dunes recommendation

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Hi everyone

Did a few searches in the XRC forum here for "dunes" and "sand tires" and "paddles" but haven't found much. I just bought my XRC a couple of months ago coming from a YXZ. Mostly play in the Oregon dunes and Central deserts. Sometimes in the woods.

Going to go for annual trip to Winchester Bay and looking to see if anyone has insight into what paddles/size/stock tires/psi I should get. I will be using the stock rims and just swapping out rear tires this year.

Car is stock for now. I put a good size down payment and bought some upgrades and therefore financially low for more add-ons. So rear paddles if I were to need/get them would be all.

Next year I will invest in full set of wheels and add front tires to go with rear paddles, if paddles are even needed on this car/stock when combo.

Thank you in advance. Feel free to point me in the direction of any forum post/website you think is valuable. I am trying to find this info on mobile and only being semi successful.

-Shawn
    2019 Maverick X3 X RC Turbo R
    Rugged Radio RM25R-WP 2-Way Dual-Band (and GMRS License)
    Rugged Radio RRP 696 Intercom w/ Ultimate Headsets
    Dual Blue Safeglo 4' Whip

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4110 times
    Sandcraft with wide wheels. You will eventually end up there, dont waste your money on anything else.
    sand shark likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Welcome from Central Oregon.... for now run the big horns at 7 or 8 psi and have a great time. I will be hitting Winchester some time this month to check out my paddles with the clutch work I had done. UTV Takeover.... June 26-30th would be a great time to talk with people about paddles. Bought my X3 in 2017 and just got paddles a few months ago. Shoot me a message when you go. Also check out Central Oregon SXS and Willamette SXS on Facebook. Next week the Willamette SXS group is working next week on clearing downed trees on some trails. That will be a great time to meet some people.
    Last edited by kevin retread; 04-07-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    sandfreak and Rocky Crawlboa like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Are you only going to ride at the coast and how many times a year? If you're only going to hit the dunes once or twice a year don't waste your money. Find yourself a good set of Bighorn take offs, off a X3 XRS. If you must have sand tires be prepared to spend close to 2k on a good setup.
    2018 X3 XRC
    2017 X3 XDS: Sold..
    2015 OG XDS Turbo: Sold..

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3440 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandfreak View Post
    Are you only going to ride at the coast and how many times a year? If you're only going to hit the dunes once or twice a year don't waste your money. Find yourself a good set of Bighorn take offs, off a X3 XRS. If you must have sand tires be prepared to spend close to 2k on a good setup.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This!
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I just bought a set of Method MR409 wheels and CST Sandblast paddles in 32" (15" wheel) and shopped around. I only have $1100 bucks in the setup and figure for a handful of trips per year its the best compromise. I tried with the Maxxis Liberty and they suck in the deep sand, bad. I ran them lower and lower in pressure until the tire popped off the bead and never felt confident in them. If the sand is wet they do great but all of the hills and trails in the dry sand I always felt like I was going to end up getting stuck and needing help. My first trip out with them will be this upcoming weekend so I will let you know how it goes.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Good info all around, thank you. Looks like xrs bighorns might be how I do this year. I'll save up for paddles and wheels for next year.

I'll be at Winchester Bay on Father's day through the next Wednesday for 10 days at Umpqua RV park. Should also be at Utv takeover as well. Not sure where I am camping for that.

I had a set of bighorns on my YXZ and some Sandslingers 28" that I just swapped out on the stock beadlocks when I went down there. (have my own tools to do this and don't mind doing it all myself).

Was thinking if I found some decent rear paddles that were recommended I would do that with this machine.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    If switching tires is no big thing think about getting some 32 inch paddles for the stock rims. In sand you don't need to worry about rocks in the calibers. Then get some 15 inch rims for your dirt tires.
    Rocky Crawlboa likes this.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin retread View Post
    If switching tires is no big thing think about getting some 32 inch paddles for the stock rims. In sand you don't need to worry about rocks in the calibers. Then get some 15 inch rims for your dirt tires.
    I was thinking of this originally but wondering what paddles were being suggested and their size. I had a RZR years ago and blew through belts like mad. The XRC has its own wheels and with clutching I didn't know if there specific tires the XRC crowd preferred for dunes
    Last edited by Rocky Crawlboa; 04-08-2019 at 01:34 AM. Reason: autocorrect sucks

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Crawlboa View Post
    Good info all around, thank you. Looks like xrs bighorns might be how I do this year. I'll save up for paddles and wheels for next year.

I'll be at Winchester Bay on Father's day through the next Wednesday for 10 days at Umpqua RV park. Should also be at Utv takeover as well. Not sure where I am camping for that.

I had a set of bighorns on my YXZ and some Sandslingers 28" that I just swapped out on the stock beadlocks when I went down there. (have my own tools to do this and don't mind doing it all myself).

Was thinking if I found some decent rear paddles that were recommended I would do that with this machine.
    We're staying at William M. Tugman State Park for UTV takeover and just plan on trailering to one of the staging areas in the morning. All of the campgrounds with dunes access were already sold out. It will probably be worth the hassle trailering as we can get out of the chaos this way.

There's a guy in McMinnville that is always selling new Bighorn take offs on Craigslist... Might be worth a call.
    Rocky Crawlboa likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links