Rattling/rolling/box of rocks sound when moving at slow speeds
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Rattling/rolling/box of rocks sound when moving at slow speeds within the Maverick XRC forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; I have an '18 XRC and at slow driveway speeds and up I have a rattling/rolling/box of rocks type noise. I took it to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rattling/rolling/box of rocks sound when moving at slow speeds

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

I have an '18 XRC and at slow driveway speeds and up I have a rattling/rolling/box of rocks type noise. I took it to the dealer a while back when it was under warranty and they said it was a common problem and they "Pinned the driveshaft". When I asked about that, they said there is play in the driveshaft splines so there is a factory TSB to drill a hole in the driveshaft and insert a screw to eliminate the slack in the splines.
    Same problem persists. As an auto repair guy for the last 100 years I would describe it like a bad/noisey carrier bearing. Any repetition on this out there?
    Thanks,
    mg

Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    I had a similar experience with mine. What I finally found after removing the carrier bearing was very fine pieces of gravel almos sand size had got between a small metal sheld made on the carrier bearing and the drive shaft. Removed the carrier cleaned everything and reinstalled the bearing. As for the fix your dealer spoke of instead of a screw I installed a grease zero in the yoke that splines on the shaft. To insure grease could get all the way around the splines. I took a dremel tool with a very small cutoff wheel and cut a groove in line with the zero all the way around the inside of the yoke. Now if I start feeling a vibration I can access the zero from the area wher the shaft connects to the front differential. It’s hard to reach but I can get it in a couple minutes without taking anything apart.

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    Yes pull apart at the Carrier bearing and grease splines.. problem solved. You'll have to did it ever so often but nothing real soon...simple fast job
    2018 X3 XRS

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cales View Post
    I had a similar experience with mine. What I finally found after removing the carrier bearing was very fine pieces of gravel almos sand size had got between a small metal sheld made on the carrier bearing and the drive shaft. Removed the carrier cleaned everything and reinstalled the bearing. As for the fix your dealer spoke of instead of a screw I installed a grease zero in the yoke that splines on the shaft. To insure grease could get all the way around the splines. I took a dremel tool with a very small cutoff wheel and cut a groove in line with the zero all the way around the inside of the yoke. Now if I start feeling a vibration I can access the zero from the area wher the shaft connects to the front differential. It’s hard to reach but I can get it in a couple minutes without taking anything apart.
    With the skid plate being riveted on (who's idea was that anyway) did you have to drill out all the rivets and re-rivet the whole thing when done? Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Desert somewhere between Wickenburg & Surprise Arizona
    Member #
    Liked
    939 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mgcardoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cales View Post
    With the skid plate being riveted on (who's idea was that anyway) did you have to drill out all the rivets and re-rivet the whole thing when done? Thanks.
    Yup, the rivets are / were a terrible idea. PITA.
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Just found this.....HTH

Member #
    Liked
    948 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thepcsurgeon View Post
    Just found this.....HTH
    Wow that's crazy. WTF exactly is rattling? Is it coming from the carrier bearing itself?
    Method Wheels, Tensor Tires, Baja Designs, Mer-Air-Terre Watches, Icarus Logistics, Keller ball joints, Maxima racing oil

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Yup, that's the noise. Same question. What's rattling. The guy can stop it with his hand. Seems like something is vibrating against another component. Would have been nice if there was some solution with the video. Also, is it an imminent failure? I'm getting ready to go for a multi day ride and don't want to be 'that guy".

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Also, I couldn't tell if the unit was on a lift and in gear or sitting still and just raising up the idle.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    If you do not have time to change it now, carry one with you in case it fails. Here is the follow up video to the one I posted before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links