Maverick Turbo wont start
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Maverick Turbo wont start within the Maverick 15-16 XDS/XRS Turbo forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; New to the forum and i need some help. I have a 2016 Maverick turbo and it wont start. When i turn the key all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Maverick Turbo wont start

Member #

New to the forum and i need some help. I have a 2016 Maverick turbo and it wont start. When i turn the key all lights and dash come on and it recognizes the key. When i push the start button the starter relay clicks once and the lights go out but the machine wont start. I have load tested the battery and made sure it was fully charged to 12.8 volts, i replaced the starter relay, replaced the starter. I have no clue what else it could be. It doesnt try to turn over or anything. Check all fuses at the fuse panel and swapped around the relays there. It ran fine when i parked it. Any help would be awesome! Thanks

Administrator
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    820 times
    Make sure both ends of the main battery cables are tight....check the battery side first.

Member #
    Battery is brand new and i had it load tested. Cables are tight. When i try to start it, it pulls a load from the battery. The last time i tested the battery while starting the machine it would drop to 8-9 volts when i push the start button.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    202 times
    Is the motor locked up? pull the clutch cover and make sure the motor turns over by hand it sounds like the solenoid is working pulling a load but the starter wont spin for some reason.....
    Mudskipper likes this.
    18 X3 XRS....
    Tube frame monster manx street legal 400hp off road car...
    2010 Jeep Rubicon with dual sport set up...

Member #
    Ill have to check that. I sure hope its not, the machine only has 30 miles on it and it ran great before i parked it.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    665 times
    It sounds a little like a bad cell in the battery I dont think it should drop to 8/9 volts ,maybe try hooking up a set of jumper cables hooked up to yr car or a large spare battery, My car did the same thing when I forgot to plug my tender in , when I went to start it put the key in hit the start 1 everything turned on hit the start button to start it small click and everything shut off, also check your ground to the frame, if you try the jumpers and get the same thing try putting the ground cable clamp onto the frame or engine if it starts you have a bad ground
    Mudskipper likes this.
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    So i havent had a chance to pull the clutch cover and belt off to make sure the motor turns and isnt frozen. But i did disconnect the cables from the battery and hooked them up directly to my booster pack to bypass the battery. It did the same thing when i tried to start the machine. Just a single click from the starter relay and thats all. One night this week im going to try and turn the motor by hand to make sure it turns freely. Thank you everyone for the help so far. Hopefully i can get this figured out soon, riding season is coming quick

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnadeau85 View Post
    So i havent had a chance to pull the clutch cover and belt off to make sure the motor turns and isnt frozen. But i did disconnect the cables from the battery and hooked them up directly to my booster pack to bypass the battery. It did the same thing when i tried to start the machine. Just a single click from the starter relay and thats all. One night this week im going to try and turn the motor by hand to make sure it turns freely. Thank you everyone for the help so far. Hopefully i can get this figured out soon, riding season is coming quick
    Sounds like a bad ground. I tried jumping a buddies car years ago when he killed his battery at night and it would not even do shit. It could still be weak on power and a ground.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2018 Can Am Max X3
    POOR MANS MINI TROPHY TRUCK

SKAT-TRAK WARLOCKS THE BEST SAND TIRE EVER. 10 PADDLE XTREME BLADES STAGGERED. 104" ROLL OUT.DWT WHEELS.BLOW BY CATCH CAN.KC GRAVITY 6 LED BAR.EVO STAGE 3 TUNE.EVO CAT DELETE.EVO BIG AIR INTAKE.KWI X34 CLUTCHKIT.TRIPLE X SEATS WITH 3 PERSON REAR BENCH.GALAXY TAB A 10".2X MOTORSPORTS BUMP STEER DELETE TIE ROD KIT.2X MOTORSPORTS GUSSET KIT.WHIPTECH LED LIGHTED WHIPS.NRG Suede Steering Wheel WITH QUICKRELEASE.

Member #
    Im thinking it has something to do with power or ground or maybe a sensor. It ran fine when i parked it. I had the battery load tested and napa said it was a good battery. My next steps are to remove the belt and spark plugs and turn the clutch to rule out that the motor is seized. Then im going to try and hook the booster pack up to it and put the ground from the booster to the motor and see if that helps. If that works then i know its a ground somewhere. Im doing all i can to not bring it to the dealer and spend $$$ haha
    Something is drawing the power because when i push the start button the battery goes from 12.8 volts down to 8-9 volts. The machine only has 30 miles on it so i doubt its something major. Hopefully tonight i will be taking another look at it.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4599 times
    It has to be either the battery cables not making a good connection and either end, I suspect ground side, or the battery is bad, my suspicion.

I have jumped stated my old Maverick from a car before. I would find a way to try and jump start it from a box or car. You can also aid the ground side of the battery with a pair of jumper cables from the ground side of the battery to a ground point on the chassis.

This is something very simple. Very unlikely the motor is seized from sitting. Tim
    Have a rainbowey, unicorny day.

Love Tim

Me and My RC , whats good enough for other folk ain't good enough for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links