Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride within the Maverick XRS forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; So, I thought I was doing an alright job cleaning my 2013 XRS after each ride (mountainous dirt/mud/muskeg) but was just hit with a 2900 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

So, I thought I was doing an alright job cleaning my 2013 XRS after each ride (mountainous dirt/mud/muskeg) but was just hit with a 2900 dollar clutch overhaul due to “extreme wear” and a significant amount of dirt impacted in them. Apparently the primary was completely seized!!!

Can someone please detail what I should do to clean the clutches and how often you clean them. I tried YouTube as video is better for me but could not find anything.

Not that I did a lot of mud and deep water to begin with but now I want to avoid it at all costs!!!! Thanks for the help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4094 times
    I blow out my clutches with compressed air after every trip. If there is any belt residue on the sheave faces, a little denatured alcohol, and a Scotchbrite pad works. You have to think of it as part of your maintenance schedule.
    PropDr and AZSteele like this.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood X3 View Post
    I blow out my clutches with compressed air after every trip. If there is any belt residue on the sheave faces, a little denatured alcohol, and a Scotchbrite pad works. You have to think of it as part of your maintenance schedule.
    Thanks for the reply, I am definitely adding it to the list. So, to blow the clutches out, do you just remove the black cover? Any special procedures to follow? Should the cover be sealed with something to help prevent water/mud ingestion?

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4094 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I am definitely adding it to the list. So, to blow the clutches out, do you just remove the black cover? Any special procedures to follow? Should the cover be sealed with something to help prevent water/mud ingestion?

I don't have that model, so I can't really say that much. But yes, you definitely need to pull the cover off. Clutches produce a lot of dust, and if you don't blow them out, it just starts to accumulate.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Ok, maybe someone else will know those specifics of that.

I am going to spray brake cleaner, I assume I have to remove the belt first

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I would not use brake clean. Compressed air works to get the dust out. If it is really dirty from being submerged in muddy water then use water. With air or water, start it up and get the sheaves spinning as you blow it out. You will have to let it dry first before you can drive it, though if you use water. You should clean it at least every 500 miles. More often if you get the clutches wet. Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Their should be a seal on your cover and unless you go in water deeper than your intake their shouldn't be any getting into it if you don't go that deep and it's getting in then you have another problem maby a bad tube? A common spot for that on your machine is the belt exhaust tube on the back of the cover it dry rots.. you should also do regular clutch maintenance if haven't been already.
    AZSteele likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    How many miles do you have on your clutch?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for all the replies and help so far, I learned a TON about the clutches over the last week or so on YouTube. I thought they were much more complicated than they actually are. Had I known what I know now, I would not have paid nearly 2,000 dollars for the dealer to fix it...I would have looked at installing an aftermarket clutch instead to add additional power and belt cooling properties. I can say though, after the work it has much more power and switches into gear WAY easier!!!

Routine clutch blowouts has been added to the list as well. As for frequency, how often do you blow yours out? Every ride, mid way through the season, once a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal16 View Post
    Their should be a seal on your cover and unless you go in water deeper than your intake their shouldn't be any getting into it if you don't go that deep and it's getting in then you have another problem maby a bad tube? A common spot for that on your machine is the belt exhaust tube on the back of the cover it dry rots.. you should also do regular clutch maintenance if haven't been already.
    Usually, no, I try to stay out of deep water. However, there was an instance where my wife went through a puddle that "submerged" her to about her "waist" she says...I'm not quite sure about the accuracy of that statement though as she also said she was on a fairly "steep angle" as well. That being said, I am sure the clutch cover was submerged for a brief period of time. As for the intake...I am assuming it is on the clutch cover case or close by?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes View Post
    How many miles do you have on your clutch?
    I will have to check when I get back home as I am out of the country right now but I know it's got about 50 hours on the machine with the original clutch.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I blow mine out after 2-3 days of use.

Thanks for checking on the miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links