Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride - Page 2
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride

This is a discussion on Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride within the Maverick XRS forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; Regular clutch maintenance after every weekend / event / 100 miles is the routine I follow. Inspect your belt & clutches, looking for glazing, cracks, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Keeping the Clutches Clean Post Ride

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Desert somewhere between Wickenburg & Surprise Arizona
    Member #
    Liked
    1373 times
    Regular clutch maintenance after every weekend / event / 100 miles is the routine I follow. Inspect your belt & clutches, looking for glazing, cracks, pieces missing. Use compressed air to blow out the housing. NEVER spray brake cleaner, especially on the belt.
    Green or red Scotchbrite pad on the pulleys.

Have you ever changed your belt? I'm assuming after this expensive experience the shop installed a new belt. I'd suggest to break that belt in properly, then after 300 - 400 miles, remove that belt, carry it with you as a spare and install a new belt, same break in procedure. This will not only give you the hands on experience changing a belt in the comfort of your garage, but now you'll have a pre broken in belt & the experience to change if / when it goes out on you out in the middle of EBF.

Original belt, aftermarket, "World's Best", your choice. Lots of opinions out there.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSteele View Post
    Regular clutch maintenance after every weekend / event / 100 miles is the routine I follow. Inspect your belt & clutches, looking for glazing, cracks, pieces missing. Use compressed air to blow out the housing. NEVER spray brake cleaner, especially on the belt.
    Green or red Scotchbrite pad on the pulleys.

Have you ever changed your belt? I'm assuming after this expensive experience the shop installed a new belt. I'd suggest to break that belt in properly, then after 300 - 400 miles, remove that belt, carry it with you as a spare and install a new belt, same break in procedure. This will not only give you the hands on experience changing a belt in the comfort of your garage, but now you'll have a pre broken in belt & the experience to change if / when it goes out on you out in the middle of EBF.

Original belt, aftermarket, "World's Best", your choice. Lots of opinions out there.

Hope that helps.

That does help, thanks for taking the time to reply. They did replace the belt with a new one and left the old one on the passenger floor of the SxS. To be honest, I looked at the old one and can't see any issues with it...all the teeth look good to me, no shiny spots, no cracks or fraying etc but, as you are aware, I am not by any means qualified to judge the condition of a belt. While I will take your advice for sure, for now, I will keep the old one as a spare.

Pre-qualifying this with "I am going to research it as well" how do you break in the belt? Nothing was said to me when I picked it up. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it!!
    AZSteele likes this.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Desert somewhere between Wickenburg & Surprise Arizona
    Member #
    Liked
    1373 times
    The Stealership took your check and didn't give you the basic break in procedure speech??? SMH ....

Sure, save that belt if there's nothing visibly wrong with it. Will get you home / back to the trailer.

Might want to invest in a Belt Temperature gauge, depending on your driving habits (an entirely different thread).

Googled "Can Am X3 Belt Break In Procedure Maverick Forums" ;

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.J5tkNlskVqs

'18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSteele View Post
    The Stealership took your check and didn't give you the basic break in procedure speech??? SMH ....

Sure, save that belt if there's nothing visibly wrong with it. Will get you home / back to the trailer.

Might want to invest in a Belt Temperature gauge, depending on your driving habits (an entirely different thread).

Googled "Can Am X3 Belt Break In Procedure Maverick Forums" ;

https://www.google.com/search?client...30.J5tkNlskVqs

Thanks for that, yes they said NOTHING about belt break in procedures!! I think they just wanted me to leave when I picked it up though as I was a little pissed that they had it for nearly a month when I was told it would be a week. Unfortunately I was out of town so my hands were tied...the pickup however was a little awkward on their end but without apology!!

As ofr the belt, fortunately, I've only been up and down the back alley three times to see if the cooling fan would engage which was the original reason for the taking it there to begin with. After letting it warm up, I did pint it for about 50 yards..ish each time so I hope it did not potentially do any damage to the new belt.

The clutch stuff came into play as I asked them to do a quick once over as well to ensure everything was OK...they didn't go hunting for it. Like I said earlier, according to them, the primary was seized requiring a whole list of replacement parts. In the end, it's done, the machine is running great and I won't return to them. Sadly, they are the only dealership within a three hour drive of me so...YouTube and this forum for advice it is
    AZSteele likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links