Tools sufficient to change belt on trail?
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Tools sufficient to change belt on trail? within the Maverick R Max forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; Hello to all, first post here since acquiring my Max last month. My question is if the toolkit for the Max has everything I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tools sufficient to change belt on trail?

Member #

Hello to all, first post here since acquiring my Max last month.

My question is if the toolkit for the Max has everything I need to change the belt out on the trail, and if not, then what else should I need?

Thanks!

Also... I have to do my first oil change (10 hr), and due to time constraints, cannot get a service manual before I head out to our place down in Baja, where I will be doing the oil/filter change. I have the Can Am oil/filter kit, but can anyone tell me if I need to have the service manual to be able to figure it out or not miss an important or unusual aspect of oil/filter change in the Max?? I'm ordering an electronic version of the service manual from an eBay seller that comes on disc, but it wont arrive before I leave. Can anyone help with special tip or instructions if it isn't straight forward job?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to good times in the Max and getting and giving great advice and help from/to the folks here as necessary!

Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Tool kit comes with the bolt to spread the secondary apart. The bolts that hold the cover on the bottom of the cover aure pretty hard to get to and it's good to have swivel extension to get down there underneath it, or a ratcheting 8mm wrench to access it from below. I think you even have to take the rear seat off to get to it. And it's my understanding that it is bolted on. These things are kind of hard to figure out the first time you work on them, so if you can find the time I really suggest doing a dry run in your garage once. Take it apart all the way down to the belt so you can see the belt and then you'll know what tools you need and the level of difficulty.

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    u should have what you need in the brp tool kit, however a few mm wrenches, or ratcheting ones with a swivel head is a great item to add, 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 mm set.\a small socket set in mm is also a great idea. oil change is straight forward. oil drain plug under max engine, some find it easier to remove skid plate some don't. its messy, there is a way to do it with little mess. take a little longer but worth it. drain oil, put plug in hand tight, jack up rear passenger side 10 inches off ground, remove oil filter cover plate ( which is on rear passenger side about half way up engine with 3 small bolts.) now remove filter, put new one in, don't forget rubber ring at end of filter and around cover plate, now with new filter in put plate back on and torque to 71 (((((INCH)))) pounds, seem them broken off many times and it will ruin your day, drop machine back to ground and remove the drain plug a final time, drain out, replace and tight up the drain plug. add a hair over 2 quarts of oil, start it, run 5 mins, stop and check oil again and may need to add a touch more then.
    HandyManDan likes this.
    Changing rear diff fluid- video maverick

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/...-maverick.html

Ocean riding with maverick max at Oregon dunes

http://youtu.be/CtyE_jUmgLg

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    964 times
    I would add few things to BRP's tool kit. An 8mm ratcheting wrench, a 1/4 drive ratchet with a 10" exrension and both a 7mm and 8mm socket, and a staple puller (looks like a screw driver with a forked end) to pull the plastic rivet on the interior plastics. Those items make a belt change a snap.

I carry way more tools than I need, but I'd rather have too many tools than not the ones I need when I need them. I carry a hammer, 2- 10" cresent wrenches, a full set of metric ratcheting combination wrenches a 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 drive ratchet, sockets and extensions for all 3. A 1/2" breaker bar, various screw drivers, and torx drivers. A set of metric allen wrenches, a good flashlight and a few other tools I would need to pull and or replace a clutch plus spare clutch bolts for both primary and secondary clutches.

I also carry 1 quart of oil, 1 quart of pre mixed anit freeze, spare fuses, a small 12v air compressor, tire plug kit, spare belt, tow strap, zip ties, duct tape, some primary wire with a handful of crimp on wire connectors, and a bag full on miscellanious nuts, bolts, and washers. If I can't fix it in the field with those parts and tools I'm pretty well screwed anyway.

So far I've only had to replace 1 belt in the field, and hope to keep it that way...but you never know. Better safe than sorry in my book. I know...., but I was a Boy Scout...lol
    Last edited by Andy; 01-14-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    '13 Mav Xrs
    Full Turbo clutch upgrade
    STM CVT blower kit
    TurnKey doors
    CT Racing heavy duty tie rods and radius rods
    UTVinc harness bar
    Pro Armor 3" harnesses w/Crow anti sub belts
    40" Totron light bar
    Auto Meter gauges
    26x12.5x12 8 paddle Skat Trak Extremes
    12x10 DWT Ultimate beadlocks
    Quick Light fiber optic whips
    Can Am Aluminum sport roof
    Evolution Powersports ECU reflash
    BTFTU

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    gee andy, I thought I was the only one who carried that much crap....lol....

Member #
    Liked
    964 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post
    gee andy, I thought I was the only one who carried that much crap....lol....
    Now you know what I cram into the Tusk cargo bag I have....lol
    '13 Mav Xrs
    Full Turbo clutch upgrade
    STM CVT blower kit
    TurnKey doors
    CT Racing heavy duty tie rods and radius rods
    UTVinc harness bar
    Pro Armor 3" harnesses w/Crow anti sub belts
    40" Totron light bar
    Auto Meter gauges
    26x12.5x12 8 paddle Skat Trak Extremes
    12x10 DWT Ultimate beadlocks
    Quick Light fiber optic whips
    Can Am Aluminum sport roof
    Evolution Powersports ECU reflash
    BTFTU

Member #
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the info, especially the tips on less messy oil change. For a long overnight ride I plan on doing I will be a good Boy Scout and bring along a good toolkit and assorted bolts/nuts, zip ties, fuses, tape, wire and connectors, epoxy putty, tire plugs, inflator, tow strap, etc.. But there are times I'll be jumping in for a "short" ride where I might not have the extended toolkit and wanted to know if a bolt change was even possible with the factory toolkit in the glove box.

So does the factory skid plate (if you wanna call it that) have a hole in it directly under the drain plug, or will I have to take off part of the skid plate to access/drain it?

Member #
    Liked
    514 times
    It should have a hole under it or close to it
    Might as well have the best

Member #
    Liked
    152 times
    yes it does. just toss a few tools in a small bag and toss em under your seat and you have them always around. no big deal. had a friend do a 30 mile walk over a 3.00 fuse once. lesson learned.

Member #
    Liked
    754 times
    Andy pretty much summed it up but I dont carry that much. A small socket kit that has 1/4" & 3/8" drives. A phillip & standard screwdriver, 1 clutch tool, 1 needle nose plier, 1 vise grip plier, 1 multiple torq bit tool, tire plug kit, very small compressor which plugs into the power socket and a tow strap. I have a tool bag straped down in the bed area and my tow strap, compressor and socket kit all fit under the driver seat.
    2013 Maverick Xrs,Magnum Off-Road custom radius cage with alum top, custom opening doors, front & rear bumpers, QSC primary/STM secondary,Full CT Race Worx Shock upgrade, Super ATV EZ Steer Power Steering unit, Ceramic coated Muzzy exhaust w/digi-tuner, PRP Can-Am seats, PRP 5 point harness',Totron 40" LED bar, sport low mode, UTV inc front gusset kit,fan override kit & billet rear view mirror,HID headlight bulbs,Holz Racing front tie rods, Turnkey front & rear panels, Turnkey Intake, Rugged Radio w/357 intercom & Ipod, 12" Black Hiper sidewinder2 rims w/yellow beadlock rings and STU Blaster rear paddles & front razors. Pro-Line vinyl wrapped side panels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links