Tools sufficient to change belt on trail? - Page 2
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Tools sufficient to change belt on trail?

This is a discussion on Tools sufficient to change belt on trail? within the Maverick R Max forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; Do you pull a tool trailer behind you Mav?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tools sufficient to change belt on trail?

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Do you pull a tool trailer behind you Mav?

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Having fun with this thread today.

I was working on beefing up (and whittling down) my toolkit to make sure I had enough to swap belts on the new STM secondary. Turns out all I really need there is a stiff piece of wood (or ok, a prybar... or a piece of wood).

Then I see this thread on a google search and the best answers come from Andy and DesertDog.

Still, I think I got ya both beat -- LoL
    Too used to being in the middle of nowhere and still wanting the ability to rebuilt from scratch, so I get carried away myself on tools and gear.

Funny part are the names, Since I am Randy and DsrtDog.
    Sorry to revive a 5 year old thread, but why not , keeping it fun.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    456 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDave View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the info, especially the tips on less messy oil change. For a long overnight ride I plan on doing I will be a good Boy Scout and bring along a good toolkit and assorted bolts/nuts, zip ties, fuses, tape, wire and connectors, epoxy putty, tire plugs, inflator, tow strap, etc.. But there are times I'll be jumping in for a "short" ride where I might not have the extended toolkit and wanted to know if a bolt change was even possible with the factory toolkit in the glove box.

So does the factory skid plate (if you wanna call it that) have a hole in it directly under the drain plug, or will I have to take off part of the skid plate to access/drain it?

I am going to assume( somthing I hate to do but) you say you got a max again assume its an x3 If so you will have 2 drain plugs 1 for engine 1 to drain the filter housing it should hold around 3.5 qts of oil. I would fill it to show full on the dipstick before starting then run it and recheck refill (oil filter capacity) you can access the drain plugs thru the skid find a funnel that you can get in there or a big mess will follow, also drain the filter housing before removing the cap or youll have more of a mess if its not an x3. Forget my post its the only can am Ive owned or know much about
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    759 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog01 View Post
    I am going to assume( somthing I hate to do but) you say you got a max again assume its an x3 If so you will have 2 drain plugs 1 for engine 1 to drain the filter housing it should hold around 3.5 qts of oil. I would fill it to show full on the dipstick before starting then run it and recheck refill (oil filter capacity) you can access the drain plugs thru the skid find a funnel that you can get in there or a big mess will follow, also drain the filter housing before removing the cap or youll have more of a mess if its not an x3. Forget my post its the only can am Ive owned or know much about
    If this guy hasn't figured it out in 5 years Dog, ain't no fixing the "real" problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Desertdog01 likes this.
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Member #
    Liked
    759 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DsrtDog View Post
    Having fun with this thread today.

I was working on beefing up (and whittling down) my toolkit to make sure I had enough to swap belts on the new STM secondary. Turns out all I really need there is a stiff piece of wood (or ok, a prybar... or a piece of wood).

Then I see this thread on a google search and the best answers come from Andy and DesertDog.

Still, I think I got ya both beat -- LoL
    Too used to being in the middle of nowhere and still wanting the ability to rebuilt from scratch, so I get carried away myself on tools and gear.

Funny part are the names, Since I am Randy and DsrtDog.
    Sorry to revive a 5 year old thread, but why not , keeping it fun.
    So explain your "grab bag" tool kit.
    Enquiring minds love learning new tricks ...

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    456 times
    This is one ( most are) that I didn't look at the op post date I have my watch set on active topics so I just read and respond so It seams the op doesn't have an x3 since this is 5 years old hey gotta keep the juices in the old brain pumping , I do this time to time , it due to inactivity of my right foot and puts my brain in a fogg , oh + I didn't take my nap today thats the problem
    AZSteele likes this.
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    Liked
    759 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog01 View Post
    This is one ( most are) that I didn't look at the op post date I have my watch set on active topics so I just read and respond so It seams the op doesn't have an x3 since this is 5 years old hey gotta keep the juices in the old brain pumping , I do this time to time , it due to inactivity of my right foot and puts my brain in a fogg , oh + I didn't take my nap today thats the problem
    Your "watch" ???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links