X3 Suspension Set Up, "The Suspension Guy" - Page 99
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

X3 Suspension Set Up, "The Suspension Guy"

This is a discussion on X3 Suspension Set Up, "The Suspension Guy" within the The Suspension Guy forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Supporting Vendors category; Oh cool... I’m just about ready for you. It’s been a while since I drove your car. I’ll stop by ......

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899
Like Tree505Likes

Thread: X3 Suspension Set Up, "The Suspension Guy"

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Oh cool... I’m just about ready for you. It’s been a while since I drove your car. I’ll stop by ...
    Pound Sand likes this.

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Snape View Post
    Oh cool... I’m just about ready for you. It’s been a while since I drove your car. I’ll stop by ...
    Right on! Got your message, your ready for full deal!!

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    Sway bar links??
    Front and or rear?

If higher rate front springs are used, coupled with a valve job that works with the firmer springs, than most of the time a front swaybar is not needed for recreational use. That means a driver can rip the dunes, run the Dez and rock crawl with plenty of articulation. Plusher for the rough and firmer for aggressive driving.

Most of the stock set up cars are UNDER SPRUNG in the front. This means the spring rates are on the weak side to do the job. They can’t push the car up fast enough after being compressed so the car tends to dive badly when on the breaks or jumping or going of drop offs. To compensate, the rebound adjustments need to be turned extremely open. But it’s not quite enough. With weak front springs, that give the car more front body roll, the swaybar is a crutch to help out the lagging stock springs.

The stock rear swaybar links are mounted with rubber bushings. These give a small amount of cushioning to swaybar engagement. Most aftermarket HARD links do not incorporate a rubber or other dampening device. Result is no dampening to the sway bar to car at all. Result is harsher ride in the rough.
    The swaybar shock links dampen the rough engagement of the swaybar and lessen this harshness from being transferred to the car and your seat. With smoother engagement, the car is allowed to set up more nicely in all terrains. The car has much less upset especially during turns with any bumps, rocks, holes or curbs. Car stays more controllable and steady.
    Last edited by Pound Sand; 04-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    sand shark and 1HasBeen like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    Another 4 seater with “my” King set up in Havasu!
    My King shock set up is Very popular these days. 2.5 fronts and 3.0 rears. I stock these already built shocks so the wait is not 4 to 6 weeks. They just need my final valving recipe and custom spring sizes and rates. Bolt on and go Moto!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Howdy Pound Sand, Ed,

After reading the WHOLE thread, I have a much better understanding of how and why different setting make such a difference on how our suspension works.

That said 98% of this thread is directed to dune riders, I have a 2018 XRC turbo, 72 inch wide rig running the stock Liberty 30 inch tall tires. Where I live the NorWet, ( Washington State ) we have very little dune riding and its something I am not really interested in doing. In my home area I run forest service roads which range from decent to horrible and two track trails where its legal. In February and early March of this year I had my first experience in desert riding when I spent that time camped at and riding around the Quartzsite area of Arizona, while there I met and rode with many who are experienced in riding this type of terrain. I was the only XRC in the group all the other X3's were of a different model some 64 and some 72 inches wide, the stock shocks on my XRC looked different then what the stock shocks were on the other rigs, what the difference is darned if I know but they looked different.

When I first got my rig I set it up using the Fox video and measurements, this did help but the ride was still choppy, when I got into desert riding I noticed that the faster I rode the better the ride for the most part. I had 375 miles on my rig when I went to the desert, at about the 1,000 mile mark I noticed that my ride height had dropped significantly. So I jacked the rig up and set everything back to where my ride height was reestablished at 15 inches LOADED. Doing this required a LOT of spring compression. Which brings me to my question, sorry for the novel you have had to read to get to this point but I wanted to make plain what I have done so far. The question is, now with 1,500 miles on the rig I can see that I will again need to compress the springs more in order to regain ride height, how much can the stock springs be compressed before I'll run into coil bind OR compromise their integrity or my safety?

I know a full on shock setup needs to be done for maximum efficiency but simply put that is out of reach financially at this time. Thanks for any information you can share and THANKS for the effort you have put into this thread.

Dave
    Just an old gimped up coot trying to get the most out of this ride called life.

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    I’m in the Dez quite a bit. Sometimes it doesn’t get talked about as much as compared to the dune riders.
    The Dez or dirt trails are dirtier, rougher and more harsh on the car and driver and passengers than the dunes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvb7B47g...d=jxdrass0un7b
    But plenty of dirt, Dez, trails and rocks get put to the test.

Your compression settings should all be fill open. In this position is the softest the car can be.
    You can only run the low speed a turn or two firmer at most, to get a somewhat softer ride.
    The standard valving and other internal parts of the stock Fox shocks make the car a generally rougher ride over all.
    These shocks have a TON of room for improvements.

Most drivers just don’t know how much better the car can be with properly set up suspension.
    Driver often come out to my “TUNE DAYS” just to get a ride in or drive a car to actually fell the difference.

Yes, the stock springs will keep compressing and shortening. I don’t know how tall your running your car?? But you can go quite a ways befor coil binding
    kevin retread likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    504 times
    PM sent
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899

Sponsored Links