Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

This is how I mounted my Radio and Intercom

12K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Baja 
#1 · (Edited)
I modified the Can Am X3 device holder ($139.99 on Amazon) by cutting the door off. I used my Rugged Radio RM-25R radio and 660 intercom set along with the FP-686P-BLK face plate from Rugged to use as the mounting bracket for the 660 Intercom ($40.00). I left the 12-volt plug in place on the dash of the Maverick and just wired the intercom and radio together and plug them directly into the outlet.

The headset or helmet jack, antenna along with the push to talk wires run thru a small hole I cut and added a grommet just next to the 12-volt outlet. The push to talk button (I use just one) is the Velcro mount style and I placed it around the passenger grab handle located in the center of the vehicle. I ran the helmet/headset jacks down the center console and up behind each seat, just behind each headrest is a molded plastic piece and it had a perfect center point, it looks like it was from the extrusion process when the piece was formed, so that was the spot.

I made a couple of attempts to make everything look good and finally reached an end point. Auto part
Auto part
Auto part Automotive design Vehicle Metal
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Hood Vehicle
Vehicle Car
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Wheel
I built a template and had extra brackets water-jet cut, if your interested or have questions send me a PM. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Vehicle Car
Font Rectangle Automotive exterior
Hand Finger
Automotive exterior Bumper Font Vehicle door Auto part

See less See more
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I modified the Can Am X3 device holder ($139.99 on Amazon) by cutting the door off. I used my Rugged Radio RM-25R radio and 660 intercom set along with the FP-686P-BLK face plate from Rugged to use as the mounting bracket for the 660 Intercom ($40.00). I left the 12-volt plug in place on the dash of the Maverick and just wired the intercom and radio together and plug them directly into the outlet. The headset or helmet jack, antenna along with the push to talk wires run thru a small hole I cut and added a grommet just next to the 12-volt outlet. The push to talk button (I use just one) is the Velcro mount style and I placed it around the passenger grab handle located in the center of the vehicle. I ran the helmet/headset jacks down the center console and up behind each seat, just behind each headrest is a molded plastic piece and it had a perfect center point, it looks like it was from the extrusion process when the piece was formed, so that was the spot. I made a couple of attempts to make everything look good and finally reached an end point. I built a template and had extra brackets water-jet cut, if your interested or have questions send me a PM. View attachment 86018 View attachment 86026 View attachment 86034 View attachment 86042 View attachment 86050
Awesome job on that!

#10 · (Edited)
This is a prime example of what you can make with a lot of dedication and time. Great job!

For anyone interested in making their own custom mounts, we have mounting templates available for free on our website with the exact cut-out dimensions to scale. Reference the Mount Diagrams section on our website under our Instructions and Tech Guides.

#11 ·
When I installed my Rugged radio & intercom back in March I used the CANAM-X3-RM60 mount the problem is I couldn't read the frequencies on the radio. So today I cut the bracket up and changed the angle from 90 degrees to 45 degrees and added my air pumper speed control for the first time I can read frequencies without standing on my head. I'm also adding side and front panels too weather proof all the electronics in there.

Before
Product Camera Technology Cameras & optics Electronic device

After
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

Vehicle Car Center console Audio equipment Technology
.​

Reactions: GloverXRS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.