Help me spend 5 grand: X3 Turbo MR East coast trail rider build
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Help me spend 5 grand: X3 Turbo MR East coast trail rider build within the Maverick X3 forums, part of the Can-Am Maverick Forums category; Background: I'm located near Charleston South Carolina. I've spent the last several years building Tacoma to trail ride here on the east coast. Mainly the ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Help me spend 5 grand: X3 Turbo MR East coast trail rider build

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Background: I'm located near Charleston South Carolina. I've spent the last several years building Tacoma to trail ride here on the east coast. Mainly the mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. Below are a few pictures of my truck. 3" lift, Kings all around, Chevy 63 rear springs, full SOS concepths armor, HMMWV dual beadlocks, 37, dual transfer cases (2.3:1 amd 4.7:1), lights tools, pretty much all the

Name:  DSC00731.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  488.7 KBName:  DSC00615 (1).jpg
Views: 57
Size:  408.9 KBName:  DSC_0681.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  4.63 MB

My next logical progression was to a solid axle swapped Tacoma or full on buggy and I started down that path but after a year or two of work and collecting parts I decided to go another route. Enter my purchase a couple weeks ago:

2019 X3 Turbo MR
    Name:  x3-2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  264.4 KBName:  x3-3.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  112.9 KB

I picked this model for the front locker, snorkel, winch, skids and lower price tag of than the RC which was my other choice. A 72" machine seemed to wide for the trails here on the east coast and I doubt I'd ever put 172hp to use unless it was to do something that would result in spitting parts out along the trail.

I knew right off the bat I would need to change some things and here's what I've done so far. Added a set of Siezmek mirrors, the OEM sport roof and % 32' Carnivores on 15" Dragonfire beadlocks
    Name:  x3-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  368.5 KB

Here's where I could really use some help: What to do next. I'm BRAND new to the UTV world. as in, prior to buying this machine I sat in a RZR once. I know I have a lot to do and money to spend before I have a solid rig I can take out and use without much worry. But I'm looking for some help with what to do next. There are a ton of parts and vendors out there to sort through and a point in the correct direction could help a lot. I've set a budget of $5k to spend over the next few months so with that

Here's what I know I need:
    -Bracing. I see weld in and bolt in kits available. I have a welder and I'm not afraid to use it. Most kits appear to be bolt on though and I'm fine with that too. I just don't want to leave my suspension behing me on the trail, or find out I've destroyed the frame on the machine

-Safety gear. I don't even have a helmet or goggles yet. Before I take it out and thrash on it I need a harness as well. Theres a lot of options out there, before I pick one at random I'd be open to suggestions. Same with the goggles and helmet situation

Suspension- I know I'm going to spend a chunk of the budget here. The rear radius rods look cheap and cheesy to me, replacements I've found are big $$$. I stumbled onto these but can't find any information on them. If I got them a high clearance billet lower would come later, leaving the two chromolys up to
    -https://www.amazon.com/American-Star...-1-spons&psc=1

CTRaceworx isn't too far from me, I am planning to let them replace my springs and tune the factory shocks
    -https://www.ctraceworx.com/maverick-...ck-tuning.html

Storage- I need to be able to carry my spare for a lot of the parks I go to, Windrock in particular along with parts and other BS
    So far this is the tire carrier I'm leaning towards: https://www.factoryutv.net/product/f...re-tire-mount/
    Name:  ORSTM2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  66.0 KB

Is the OEM storasge box the best option for keeping tools, spares and other gear handy?

-body protection: First thing I put on my truck were rock sliders and I know I need them here. SuperATV seems like the most economical option. Should I look at something else?

-Windshield_ THis should be at the top of the list. I'm afraid if I spend money on the glass windshield (which is insanely expensive) It will eat up my budget and crack the first time I flop this thing. Right now leaning towards something like the Dragonfire half windshield. And maybe swapping in a full windshield when it gets cold. Also a rear windscreen, which looks to be in the $75 range on Amazon.

-Coms and navigation- I run a tablet and a Beofeng in the truck for these but thought about getting a little fancier here. Are there good options between a $30 Beofeng and a $1000+ Rugged Radio (RR in NOT happening)

-Performance- 120hp is probably plenty for now. I'd still like to get a tuner though to ditch some of the nanny settings and be tuned for the 93 octane we have here. Might delete the cat while I'm at it. Is it adviseable to buy the cat delete pipe, or are most people just gutting it with a screw driver and drill?I was looking at the PWR Reflash tuner:
    Power Vision pwrTune ECU CanAm 2018 X3 120HP Turbo PV3

Ancillary-Lights will probably be Amazon specials. They've generally worked well for me in the past. I'm not a big fan of light bars but a small one on the front shock tower and set of rock lights wouldn't hurt my feelings too badly

Stereo- these things are too cool to not have music but DAMN some of the options I'm finding are pricey (Rockford Fosgate). Is there anything in the $3-500 range that seems to work well.

I know this is a lot of questions and I'm sure I'm missing a lot as well. But any guidance is appreciated. I'm reading back through the forum subscribing to threads and bookmarking pages.

So the question really boils down to: With another $5,000 to spend to make a respectible trail machine for the east coast, where would you spend it.

Thanks in advance
    Cap

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    Do you want my address to send the cash = easiest way to spend it
    AZSteele and Tmesic like this.
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4236 times
    hell of a list, coming from a Truck wheeling background you already know shit breaks. And since you have a welding machine even better to fix it.

Lonestar Racing make a great weld on gusset kit they add to all of their desert race cars. Great complete kit

rear links will get destroyed wheeling hard and why spend money on fancy ones? Just cut and sleeve the OEM links and be happy you saved $800+

nerf bars, I would look at how they are mounted. Most are mounted to the plastic body and are not worth shit!. I believe Extreme Performance has a set that slides inside the frame tubes. Or better yet make a set yourself, I did this and posted info on this site.

Sandshark just got an economical rear toolbox that I would recommend, don't know the vendor though.

Dynojet Tuner for sure easy and it reads any trouble codes plus has gauges built in

Lights, you get what you pay for but if you are not racing who really cares.

windshield, im not a fan. hot in the cab, noisy, fogs up when it rains, scratches easily, dust sticks to the inside, sun glares, cuts down on visibility due to wide at A-pillars

safety harness with a quick release latch is best, I like the Dragonfire Evo for comfort

coms, Rugged radio intercom and 5 watt radio or 60 watt. Well worth the money for range and easy to use.
    AZSteele and Tmesic like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    Welcome to the forum if you haven't been welcomed yet

What I put on my car is a wet sounds blue tooth sound bar I think its the stealth 10 ultra has a controller on my steering wheel but its in the 7/800 range or wait for a sale I wasn't about to spend 2000+ I had 1700 in my tunes in the popo and wasn't about to do it again ct has a lot of good stuff , the first thing to do is grease your bearings and next set your ride height , but if your sending your shocks out wait till you get them back , Id do the upper shock brace, bulk head, and the frame stiffener kit also some nice radius rods and defiantly sway bar links the stockers will fold up like a wet noodle , once you have a rugged radioo sys in your car you'll wonder why you waited you can also play music thru the headsets and its nice to be able to talk with your passenger and actually be able to understand what both of you are talking about. + other cars with radios
    AZSteele likes this.
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I would highly recommend CT Race Worx for a front gusset kit, shock tower brace, and the Billet Proof lower radius rods, and radius rod plate with tow ring. I also sent them my shocks for revalve and springs, that helped too. I have had these parts on my x3 from the start and I have over 2300 miles of hard and fast east coast trails and all is good! I ride in NY, PA, WV, NC, SC, GA. I have the BRP linq 12 gallon box, works fine but that's personal preference I suppose. I have lots more stuff on my machine for my personal needs (stereo, windshield, evo stage 3r, bla ,bla, bla....), but this hopefully will help you get started.
    Last edited by bshep604; 07-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    AZSteele likes this.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    https://www.maverickforums.net/forum...radio-nib.html
    heres a new car to car 60 watt radio a member is selling great deal for new

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3569 times
    If CT Raceworx is in your backyard, bring it there, give Alex the $5K, and tell him to call you when he's finished. He does some pretty sweet builds!
    AZSteele, Tmesic and bshep604 like this.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3569 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog01 View Post
    https://www.maverickforums.net/forum...radio-nib.html
    heres a new car to car 60 watt radio a member is selling great deal for new
    That was sold, was a great deal.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    920 times
    $5K is a start, about half of what you really need.
    Go see Dave at CT, he'll hook you up.

As far as comms (Rugged Radio), harnesses (5 point) and other accessories, PM Craig, forum member and Vendor for the best prices and outstanding customer service.

Also get yourself a Shop Manual either at the Stealership for $100+ or here for under $25, https://brpmanuals.com/

Welcome to the madness. Keep your wallet handy, you haven't even begun to spend $$$ yet.

Enjoy the ride, rubberside down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Hollywood X3 and Jcard like this.
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    691 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood X3 View Post
    That was sold, was a great deal.
    says he has 1 more

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links