Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Shock Therapy

12K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  Auztone 
#1 · (Edited)
I am sending my shocks off to Shock Therapy tomorrow to get revalved and new springs installed and a sway bar for my DS anything else should i look at getting while the shocks are off i already have a Ct gusset kit coming

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
i was going to get around to adding one of Halos billet diffs and i have a SandCraft carrier bearing but have been reading mixed reviews on it and
am skeptical on installing it

#7 ·
They're kind of pricey,but I'd get the billet pre load nuts too....makes adjusting ride height way easier.
Billet Fox Pre Load Nut 2.0 - Shock Therapy, LLC

Also if you're doing the gusset kit,replace the crappy rubber a-arm bushings with Delrin bushings.
Rokblokz are a good piece of insurance to protect the rear wheels and trailing arms.
The stock trailing arms are pretty weak,so you might look at some ZRP's or S3's....

You're off to a good start with ST.....but it doesn't stop there!$$$$:wink:

Reactions: kurtj
#14 ·
Good call. The stock swaybar links would not break if the bolt size matched the bolt holes correctly. Can Am gives you a 10mm bolt to fit in a 12mm bolt hole.

#15 ·
ST doesn't offer a sway bar for a DS yet , I already tried to order one and they said it doesn't fit the ds

#16 ·
as. Running with out it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Well tomorrow is the big day, my appointment at Shock Therapy can't wait to get my shocks back and on to try them out :):):)

#20 ·
Add roughly another $500 - $600, and YES!!! It's definitely worth it. Full cost is roughly $2K or so for springs and valving. If you go this route, don't forget to get your 5% forum discount. Every little bit helps.

#28 ·
I just had Utvshocks, Tom Morris do my revalve and springs for the same reasons, need better slow speed manners and the wife was not happy
with the firm ride. To be honest, neither was I. Thought the big stuff was fine, but not the small. Anyhow, I am very surprised at how good and
plush it is now, and I have also pounded thru the whoops and no bottoming. Extremely happy. Had the same experience with my prior dirt bike,
had one shop revalve and spring and maybe worse than before, had a guy named Ty Davis redo and now its incredible. And the other shop was
a big name, ya never know. Hope it works out for you.

#33 ·
I'm trying to understand the Stage 4 rework from ST. I've watch some videos at high speed and it looks good over stock.

So we are only good at high speed? I was under the impression that it took care of low speed as well?
I would hate to think that I would be unhappy after spending $2000 with ST and have to have more work done.

Sounds like some new springs and a good revalve might be a better option.

To be honest beside the sag I've got my stock setting pretty dang good except for a little bucking over a good set of whoops at 40 or so mph.

#42 ·
In the slow speed stuff I had the High and low speed adjusters full open. In the dunes I the both one turn from full closed to help with bottoming. So for me at the dunes these were a little soft which was OK with me but I still wanted them softer in the slow speed trail stuff. Hope that helps.

#43 ·
So, after a half a day of riding I can say Ed the Suspension Guy's set up is much smoother on the slow speed stuff for me. This is a big difference from the ST set up I had. I was also able to take it in a large sand wash that was whooped out pretty badly. I was able to do 60 plus through these sections and the car soaked it up. I need to go back to the dunes but I believe I will have less bottoming than with the ST set up. I hit some big stuff in the wash and thought it was going to bottom but didn't. Very happy with this set up!

#45 ·
Auztone,

My shocks are what came on the X3. These two companies have different approaches to tuning. With ST I did not see any reduction in stiffness in the first 6-8 inches of travel. Ed does adjust this some how, he also re-valves the high and low speed adjusters. ST told me they do not touch these. His springs actually stabilize the role of the front end with the sway bar removed. I was amazed at this. When I had the stock set up, I removed the front sway bar and liked it but the car had too much roll for me with stock springs and valving. With my car the ST valving seemed to soften the mid-full compression. In some riding this really smoothed things out from stock but I did bottom hard at times with that set up. As I said with the new valving and springs I have a softer hit on the slow stuff and it seems so far that I have even better bottoming protection. I will know for sure after my next trip to the dunes. One more item. I have not adjust the high and low speed adjusters yet. They are almost full open and I did not bottom on a big hit. With ST I was 1 turn from full closed on both High and low speed adjusters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.