Liquid/air intercooler ????
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Liquid/air intercooler ???? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Technical Discussions category; So on the quest for more power... i have a 2019 x3 turbo base on the preliminary list of mods for more power obviously and ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Liquid/air intercooler ????

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

So on the quest for more power... i have a 2019 x3 turbo base on the preliminary list of mods for more power obviously and intercooler is pretty close to the top of the list. Ive dabbled in high horsepower street cars and am no stranger to boost.

Im toying with the idea of a liquid to air intercooler setup and was curious if anyone on here has attempted or successfully installed something of the sort. I know the air to air setup is the easiest route and im sure it does the job but a liquid setup would be much more efficient at preventing heat soak.

Shot in the dark here any and all input is appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Packard performace seems to run them on all their high HP YXZ builds i noticed at UTV invasion. For the reasons you mentioned. I think Push turbo does also i was reading on their site

Member #
    Liked
    3526 times
    Unless you have a way of keeping the water cold for the intercooler it will soon heat up and be hotter than the ambient air temperature. Then there's the weight and extra parts to fail withe a liquid to air intercooler has to interface with the cars cooling system. I had good luck years ago with no intercooler so there are also other ways to cool the charge intake if you want to go that route also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    AZSteele and sand shark like this.
    2018 Can Am Max X3
    POOR MANS MINI TROPHY TRUCK

SKAT-TRAK WARLOCKS THE BEST SAND TIRE EVER. 10 PADDLE XTREME BLADES STAGGERED. 104" ROLL OUT.DWT WHEELS.BLOW BY CATCH CAN.KC GRAVITY 6 LED BAR.EVO STAGE 3 TUNE.EVO CAT DELETE.EVO BIG AIR INTAKE.KWI X34 CLUTCHKIT.TRIPLE X SEATS WITH 3 PERSON REAR BENCH.GALAXY TAB A 10".2X MOTORSPORTS BUMP STEER DELETE TIE ROD KIT.2X MOTORSPORTS GUSSET KIT.WHIPTECH LED LIGHTED WHIPS.NRG Suede Steering Wheel WITH QUICKRELEASE.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    251 times
    want cooler temps, run e85
    but, liquid cooled works sweet on pwc
    17 xds, Boondocker turbo kit, Whalen 240xx tune, 3bar sensors, Powervision with AFR logging, AEM 320 fuel pump, Bosch 1200cc injectors, H&H performance clutching and custom tuning, Pro Armor 4 point harness, UMP filter, Evo v flow, fan override, razorback belt gauge, STU 1300x15 Padla comp cut, 31x15 Tribute comp cut on DWT wheels, Tensor 30x10 x14 on MSA wheels or ITP mud lite 30x12x14 on stock wheels and street legal

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock View Post
    Unless you have a way of keeping the water cold for the intercooler it will soon heat up and be hotter than the ambient air temperature. Then there's the weight and extra parts to fail withe a liquid to air intercooler has to interface with the cars cooling system. I had good luck years ago with no intercooler so there are also other ways to cool the charge intake if you want to go that route also.

A water to air cooler dose not use any part of the stock cooling system. It has it own radiator, reservoir and a electric pump. It is more efficient at cooling then air to air. Charge temps can stay cooler which allows you to run more boost and still be safe.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    4719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wilk3737 View Post
    A water to air cooler dose not use any part of the stock cooling system. It has it own radiator, reservoir and a electric pump. It is more efficient at cooling then air to air. Charge temps can stay cooler which allows you to run more boost and still be safe.
    Geez you didn't get what Warlock was saying. You couldn’t carry enough water and ice for a dune ride without it getting hotter than ambient temps.
    AZSteele, sand shark and Skinner like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wilk3737 View Post
    Well what happens or should I say how long does it take for the liquid to heat up past ambient air temperature. Then at that point it maintains a higher heat in the intercooler. These cars don't have any great speed to really help cool the intercooler water any better like a car.

2018 Can Am Max X3
    POOR MANS MINI TROPHY TRUCK

SKAT-TRAK WARLOCKS THE BEST SAND TIRE EVER. 10 PADDLE XTREME BLADES STAGGERED. 104" ROLL OUT.DWT WHEELS.BLOW BY CATCH CAN.KC GRAVITY 6 LED BAR.EVO STAGE 3 TUNE.EVO CAT DELETE.EVO BIG AIR INTAKE.KWI X34 CLUTCHKIT.TRIPLE X SEATS WITH 3 PERSON REAR BENCH.GALAXY TAB A 10".2X MOTORSPORTS BUMP STEER DELETE TIE ROD KIT.2X MOTORSPORTS GUSSET KIT.WHIPTECH LED LIGHTED WHIPS.NRG Suede Steering Wheel WITH QUICKRELEASE.

Supporting Vendor
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    I run and sell the C&R intercooler with 10" Spal and its hands down the best setup for keeping iat's cool on the X3. Like Warlock and Mega said, water is good if your building a short run drag car where you can use a ice tank on a air to water setup. But if your on long dune or desert or trail rides the water is going to heat up above ambient air temp and actually be worse for power. So depends on what your planning on doing with the machine.

Parts - Accessories - Builds

http://www.peakoffroadperformance.com

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3928 times
    For air to air, the C&R is the way to go.

But if the water to air is a stand alone system, i dont see it getting that hot, and i would guess it would cool even better than air to air. An air to air radiator would not work.
    2017 X3 XRS

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    When the turbo compreses the air it gets very hot way past ambient. A good water to air system can cool charged air down to 5-10 deg. above ambent temp which is lower then a air to air sytem can do I don't think there is room for a good water air system but it could work better still. He did state it has to interface with the car cooling system which it dose. not..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links