2018 X3 XRS Max suspension and ride height - please help
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on 2018 X3 XRS Max suspension and ride height - please help within the Suspension forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Technical Discussions category; I really hope someone can help me out here. I bought a new x3 Max and heard that Can Am had lowered the ride height ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 2018 X3 XRS Max suspension and ride height - please help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I really hope someone can help me out here. I bought a new x3 Max and heard that Can Am had lowered the ride height from how Fox had set the suspension, for safety. This is my first SXS, and I'm not that familiar with suspension adjustments.. I never checked the ride height when I got it, but now that I have put accessories on it like bumpers, spare tire,etc. The ride height is only 11.5 inches from ground to skid plates. Everyone I see talking about the ride height say they have like 15". With as little as I know about this, I think the top nut should be adjusted down to add preload and raise the car right? But when I see the Fox suggested set up it says not to add more than .59in?! That can't possibly raise me the 3.5" I need right?! Is there anything I can do to stock equipment to get my ride up and have it ride correctly? Please let me know, in layman's terms if possible..

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3796 times
    Welcome from Tucson AZ, congrats on your Max! Yes, you're pretty low. Should be a minimum of 15", if not higher. You can try and tackle it yourself, but I really suggest using one of the 3 great shock tuners on this site.

If you want to try and tackle it yourself, read Poundsand's thread. It goes over a lot of what needs to be done.

Since this is your first SXS, I recommend you take it slow, and easy, and learn the machine. Don't do doughnuts, sure way to roll over.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the response and yah I actually joined this to ask him, he seems very knowledgeable. I am really hoping to not have to go to aftermarket parts so soon, and I'm just a little nervous to just jump into making adjustments wiuth out knowing what I'm doing..

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3796 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumBaker View Post
    Thank you for the response and yah I actually joined this to ask him, he seems very knowledgeable. I am really hoping to not have to go to aftermarket parts so soon, and I'm just a little nervous to just jump into making adjustments wiuth out knowing what I'm doing..
    And that's cool. A lot of guys don't, no big deal. Dealing with suspension isn't the same as doing an oil change. I definitely recommend that you have Ed, or whoever you want do it. It's done right, without guesswork or busted knuckles, LOL. Ed is in Cali, and can easily be reached. Give him a call, or text, and set up an appointment. Whether you just want ride height right now or springs and revalve too, is entirely up to you, and your budget.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    1493 times
    You don't need aftermarket parts. You need to do a little tuning and if you can meet up with poundsand he can do it for you with the parts you already have, huge improvement.

If you can do some research, make some notes and have a few tools and a tape measure you can do it yourself in an hour. I have done several 2-seat, and have some friends with 4-seats and they all were able to crank them up themselves, around 15" is where you want to be. Not sure what your skill or comfort level is but its pretty basic as long as you have a floor jack and a few blocks of wood along with a few basic tools.

spending money and swapping out springs is next level upgrades that I would guess you are a long ways from needing. I have been riding my entire life in the dunes / desert on dirt bikes, quads and 4x4's. I have owned a sxs starting in 05' when I had a rhino and have had many machines since then and have progressed to the X3. Experience is something that takes time and practice and you have the right machine, you don't need to do every upgrade to it until you learn how to use what you already have.

focus on lights, safety, storage, comfort etc... The rest of the crap comes later
    Kodiak and grvtyboy like this.
    17' triple black X3 XRS - longest lasting SxS I have ever had as it still make me smile every-time I drive it!!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    This may give you a better understanding about what needs to be done.

Tmesic and sjf like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Haha thank you Rasty, that's funny you said that. That is the video, and a website I found from Fox, that I used yesterday morning for exact measurements for the Max XRS, to actually attempt this myself. I didn't attempt to adjust the high speed and low speed compressions yet,or the rebound, but I did the preload and the crossover measurements, hoping to correct the ride height. But their numbers only got me from 12" in the front to 13-1/4" and from 11-1/2" in the rear to 12-1/4" in the rear. Im afraid to continue adjusting the preload any further down since its already moved maybe 5/8" from the factory setting. Now i dont know what to do..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3796 times
    Haha thank you Rasty, that's funny you said that. That is the video, and a website I found from Fox, that I used yesterday morning for exact measurements for the Max XRS, to actually attempt this myself. I didn't attempt to adjust the high speed and low speed compressions yet,or the rebound, but I did the preload and the crossover measurements, hoping to correct the ride height. But their numbers only got me from 12" in the front to 13-1/4" and from 11-1/2" in the rear to 12-1/4" in the rear. Im afraid to continue adjusting the preload any further down since its already moved maybe 5/8" from the factory setting. Now i dont know what to do..
    You're still a little low.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I know right?! Frustrating to have this car, and scrape when loading and unloading onto my flat bed trailer..haha hopefully yesterday's adjustments fixed that..
    Loretano likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links