Turns over but wont start - Page 3
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Turns over but wont start

This is a discussion on Turns over but wont start within the Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Technical Discussions category; Please update us when you find out what it was/is. hope they find it quick....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Turns over but wont start

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Please update us when you find out what it was/is.

hope they find it quick.

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    So here is the latest. I got a call from the dealership on Saturday and they said what they found was a code for the cam sensor, but they also said they did a compression test and one cylinder had zero compression. Then he went on to say it was $7100 for a new motor and they don't rebuild the existing one. Needless to say, I said I will pick it up tomorrow. I didn't even want to talk to them. You cant tell me within an hour diagnostic they went to it all needs to be replaced. And of course no warranty coverage because of aftermarket parts but he couldn't tell me what aftermarket parts voided the warranty and why. He also couldn't tell me anything about the CAPS (Cam Positing Sensor) being the mechanic didn't put any additional notes in the computer and he was just the service writer.

I'm going to do some further testing on my own. I have the service manual and my buddy is going to help me check each injector (make sure one is not stuck open), Injector coils, CAPS, CPS, do our own compression and leak down test. I have all the tools to do it. Make sure all of that is in the correct parameters. And since they mentioned a CAPS code, I ordered a new one for $35. Its gonna be a couple weeks before we get too it all.

If we conclude it needs rebuilt, I will call nFlow and talk to them. I may actually call them today. I also may reach out on here and see who people recommend to just have the motor built while it is out of the car. Not sure if ALBA, KMS, EVO, Whalen or other vendors do it.

I just don't understand how the car ran perfectly fine. Moved it in and out of the garage several times and no problems to "zero compression" in one cylinder.

Anyhow I will keep the thread updated when I get more info.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3749 times
    Oh you were the one with the Packard tune, right?
    2017 X3 XRS

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    3765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jchevy4x4j View Post
    So here is the latest. I got a call from the dealership on Saturday and they said what they found was a code for the cam sensor, but they also said they did a compression test and one cylinder had zero compression. Then he went on to say it was $7100 for a new motor and they don't rebuild the existing one. Needless to say, I said I will pick it up tomorrow. I didn't even want to talk to them. You cant tell me within an hour diagnostic they went to it all needs to be replaced. And of course no warranty coverage because of aftermarket parts but he couldn't tell me what aftermarket parts voided the warranty and why. He also couldn't tell me anything about the CAPS (Cam Positing Sensor) being the mechanic didn't put any additional notes in the computer and he was just the service writer.

I'm going to do some further testing on my own. I have the service manual and my buddy is going to help me check each injector (make sure one is not stuck open), Injector coils, CAPS, CPS, do our own compression and leak down test. I have all the tools to do it. Make sure all of that is in the correct parameters. And since they mentioned a CAPS code, I ordered a new one for $35. Its gonna be a couple weeks before we get too it all.

If we conclude it needs rebuilt, I will call nFlow and talk to them. I may actually call them today. I also may reach out on here and see who people recommend to just have the motor built while it is out of the car. Not sure if ALBA, KMS, EVO, Whalen or other vendors do it.

I just don't understand how the car ran perfectly fine. Moved it in and out of the garage several times and no problems to "zero compression" in one cylinder.

Was this the mechanic or the service manager? They have to tell you, and it should be shown to you in writing. Was this with RPM1? Curious.
    AZSteele likes this.
    2017 X3 XRS, 2019 X3 XRS

November 2018 Maverick of the Month
    UTV Inc equipped twice with "EVERYTHING"!

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    453 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jchevy4x4j View Post

Cam position sensor is too easy to change one bolt and its in the way when you change the #2 plug. I know Whalen will rebuild it if needed because they was telling me about an X3 they had just done. But I am sure any of the others named can do this as well.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    422 times
    Only two things come to mind for zero compresion: Open valve and hole in piston.
    Hole in piston will have massive blowby.
    Last edited by PropDr; 08-12-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PropDr View Post
    Only two things come to mind for zero compresion: Open valve and hole in piston.
    Hole in piston will have massive blowby.
    even with a dead hole it should attempt to start sputer or backfire and since it ran fine before he parked it it has to be a fuel, elec or some sensor thats telling the ecu not to let it fire up
    PropDr likes this.
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    Liked
    307 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post
    Oh you were the one with the Packard tune, right?
    Yup - Guess we will see if that is related or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood X3 View Post
    Was this the mechanic or the service manager? They have to tell you, and it should be shown to you in writing. Was this with RPM1? Curious.
    Service Writer. I asked to talked to the Mechanic but of course he was unavailable. You cant even call and talk to any of the service writers. You have to submit a form online from their website and they have 24-48 hours to call you back. Its a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog01 View Post
    even with a dead hole it should attempt to start sputer or backfire and since it ran fine before he parked it it has to be a fuel, elec or some sensor thats telling the ecu not to let it fire up
    That is how I feel. I had zero issues or codes before all of this happened. Never went into limp mode, never backfired, ran strong.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Desert somewhere between Wickenburg & Surprise Arizona
    Member #
    Liked
    1044 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog01 View Post
    Look like one hell of a gap
    This isn't the Yoga Pants thread Bro.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Desert somewhere between Wickenburg & Surprise Arizona
    Member #
    Liked
    1044 times
    Isn't there a better option than the zombies at the Stealership's service department in your area ?
    Of course they want to sell you a new motor, probably don't have a clue how to install it let alone how to get the existing one out, but those apprentices need the experience.

In all seriousness, there's got to be a build shop within a reasonable distance, right ? Many work with extended warranty's if that's the issue. Stealership / Service writer will blame any tune or mod's done to help the warranty company ditch responsibility. Probably get a kick back each time.

Must be frustrating as Hell. Hope you find the solution.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    '18 X3 XRC Turbo R + $$$$$$$$

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links