Surging/cutting out in high/low
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Surging/cutting out in high/low

This is a discussion on Surging/cutting out in high/low within the Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Technical Discussions category; Sorry for my first post to be a distress call but here is what I have... Picked up a used '13 Mav a few weeks ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Surging/cutting out in high/low

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

SOLVED!! Surging/cutting out in high/low

Sorry for my first post to be a distress call but here is what I have... Picked up a used '13 Mav a few weeks ago and had been running flawlessly up the roads, down the trails and general bombing around until yesterday. My brother was riding on the farm and all of a sudden it just started cutting in and out in the forward ranges. It idles and revs fine in park and neutral, functions totally normal in reverse, but go to high or low, give it gas and it jumps from normal rpms to zero and back constantly and sounds like its backfiring while doing it. I was thinking throttle body or tps at first, but the problem only in forward ranges has me baffled. Has anyone come across this or have any thoughts?
    Last edited by suzukicidal; 07-17-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    always start with the easy stuff
    change plugs
    add fresh gas
    check filters
    check fault codes
    forward is a higher gear then reverse
    so it has a bigger load on the motor
    17 xds, Boondocker turbo kit, Whalen 240xx tune, 3bar sensors, Powervision with AFR logging, AEM 320 fuel pump, Bosch 1200cc injectors, H&H performance clutching and custom tuning, Pro Armor 4 point harness, UMP filter, Evo v flow, fan override, razorback belt gauge, STU 1300x15 Padla comp cut, 31x15 Tribute comp cut on DWT wheels, Tensor 30x10 x14 on MSA wheels or ITP mud lite 30x12x14 on stock wheels and street legal

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I had something similar happen to me a while ago. Check you seat belt safety plug. On my X3 it is under the drivers seat. Mine became loose and it would lose the connection and put it into safety mode which will not allow you to go over 10mph.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MaverickForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    722 times
    X2 on seat belt
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    No go on the seat belt. Does it with it hooked up or not. I even jumpers the plug and same deal. It’s not that it’s going into safe mode or anything. Just flat out won’t run right in the drive ranges. I’m lucky if I can feather it enough to get it to 10 mph. What’s weird to me is that it’s fine in any other gear and will rev to the moon in any of them. I just put a tank of fresh gas in on Friday. Im gonna pull the plugs and look at em but I’m doubtful since it doesn’t miss a beat in anything but forward range.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Check the plug on the gear position indicator in the trans. It is a round plastic piece to the rear of the engine on the right hand side. Need to pull the passenger seat and plastic under the seat to access it. Make sure the connection is clean and tight. Take the indicator off and look at that, too. My 13 Mav was going into limp mode and reading "Transmission Fault" on the dash sometimes when running a fast trail. I did the above. Never saw anything wrong, but the problem was gone after that. Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just tried that. No different result. I don’t get any fault codes or limp mode or anything. Just acts like a bucking bronco in hi or lo.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Have you tried flooring it in reverse while pressing the override switch to see if it does it? The other thing I would try is take the plastic covers off both sides of the engine compartment, have it running and then wiggle, pull and push every wire that you can see. It sounds electrical to me. Could be loose connection or a broken wire inside a harness.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yep. Runs perfect in reverse with or without switch. I'm gonna try to trace some more wiring down tonight when I get home.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    722 times
    Have you tried going forward and pushing the overide switch ?
    Life doesent get much better than eating taco’s down at scorpian bay ,baja sur
    2018 x3 xrs/ smart lok,rugged radios,baga design squadron pro’s,onyx6,afx alum. Lower doors,brp door handles, Evo c/d + tune, wet sounds elite 10, aim belt temp, + way too much to list need more $$ not close to being done

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links