Surging/cutting out in high/low - Page 5
Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Surging/cutting out in high/low

This is a discussion on Surging/cutting out in high/low within the Engine and Drivetrain forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Technical Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jakerot Had a similiar issue with a dirt bike. Was riding fine then all of a sudden while riding it started to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Surging/cutting out in high/low

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerot View Post
    Had a similiar issue with a dirt bike. Was riding fine then all of a sudden while riding it started to run like crap, was bucking, surging and backfiring, no power. Would idle OK, but when giving gas, same result surging, sputtering, and backfiring. Thought it was carb related but then noticed my ignition coil mounting was loose. Coil needs to be grounded and the loose mount was causing intermittent loss of ground, causing misfire, unburnt fuel in the exhaust, and the resulting backfiring. Tightened it up and presto, runs like a champ again.

So the point of my ramble is perhaps you have an electrical gremlin at work. Ignition coil going bad, spark plug wire insulation worn down somewhere causing an arc and corresponding spark plug misfire, or maybe the ecu has gone bad?

However I would guess any misfire would throw a code, and I think you said you pulled no codes?

does your rig have O2 sensors? Maybe one is going bad giving the ecu incorrect data and throwing off your air/fuel mixture?

However would guess that would throw a code as well.

Interested in in hearing the solution. Wish you luck.

Checked all kind of stuff today. I started thinking speed sensor even though it never threw a code...… drained it, pulled the actuator and cleaned the sensor. For the first ten minutes or so after that, it still ran like crap. All of a sudden it started running "ok" in hi or lo until I would really get on the gas, then it would stall. It would also run good as long as I kept the speed up a little. My severe test was coming to a stop going uphill, then the whole process would start all over again. The major difference at the end of the day was that it finally threw a code as I was getting fed up. P0324, knock sensor, for a little while then it went away. Anyone have any thoughts on that? As of now it's loaded on the trailer and going to the shop tomorrow.
    Last edited by suzukicidal; 06-30-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    What did the shop say? Good news I hope?
    Tmesic likes this.
    2015 Maverick Max 1000 turbo

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerot View Post
    What did the shop say? Good news I hope?
    SOLVED!!!! Got the call today that we are back up and running. I dropped it off on the second of July. I was so dumbfounded by it and thinking it was a sensor somewhere that I gave up. It turns out that the CPS wire had gotten pinched between the motor mount and frame. Ran fine without a load or the torque twist that the forward gears gave. Torque it up and the mount pinched it causing a short. I was expecting the worse from a dealer after 15 days as far as charges but Nick's Powersports in Dickeyville, Wi, has totally stepped up what I call customer service and done right by me even though I didn't buy the machine from them. I'm gonna go pick it up tomorrow, make some high speed fly bys, and get rid of my withdrawals of not having it for two weeks. Thanks to everyone here for your insight and help in trying to diagnose this.
    Tmesic, Jakerot and Twist N Smoke like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links