Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

video- changing rear diff oil in maverick max, maverick

18K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Andy 
#1 ·

thanks

#4 ·
Good post ! But for other people also to know unless it's dif then the max the xrs you can do it with a reg Allen wrench . It's a pain in the ass put you do half turn up through the drain hole cut out then re position it with end of handle facing front of car . It's a slow process but can be done if you don't have means of making a tool mod

#5 ·
You can also buy long allen wrenches with a ball end. A ratchet and an extension . Go in across the top of lower aarm . The ball allows you to come in at a slight angle. I do this on my xrs

If Im on the side of the trail posting ... its because Im waiting for you to catch up.

#6 ·
good vid I just had to look back on lol

#12 · (Edited)
Instead of paying the dealership I figured I could tackle the front diff, engine oil/filter, rear diff and gear box oil changes. All was fairly easy except the rear diff. What a total pain in the ass, specifically getting the 5mm drain plug out. I read using a wobble allen head would work. I tried an snapped the tool. I soaked the plug with liquid wrench for a few hours and was able to break it free using a regular L shaped allen wrench thru the drain hole. I then used another wobble head and an extension to unscrew the remainder of the way.

Many thanks to the Can Am engineer that designed this set up....and more thanks to the assembly line dude that used 10000 pounds of torque when originally setting the drain plug:furious:

Anyone using a different style drain plug vs OEM?

#13 ·
Makes me wonder if there's a Fumoto style plug that would fit the Maverick... I'd be a little concerned with something protruding or whether it would fit under the skid.

p.s. Bulldogs - thanks for posting the video! My first service is coming up soon and this gives me more knowledge/confidence to tackle it.

#14 ·
Any 1/8th NPT plug will work. I stripped the oem plug the 1st time I changed the oil. Found a hex head 1/8th NPT plug in my drawer of fitting and screwed it right in. I also made a slot in the sheet metal skid plate at the edge of the drain hole so I can actually get a decent turn on it with a box end wrench. WAY effin easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.