Can-Am Maverick Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Clutch gurus, belt slipping?

This is a discussion on Clutch gurus, belt slipping? within the General Maverick Discussions forums, part of the Can-am Maverick Forum category; Got the Mav out for awhile today and had to ride a little asphalt. After a few spirited rolls ons from 45 to 75 mph ...

Member #
    Liked
    113 times

Clutch gurus, belt slipping?

Got the Mav out for awhile today and had to ride a little asphalt. After a few spirited rolls ons from 45 to 75 mph back to back for 3-4 times I noticed once my secondary shifted out my rpms would shoot up to 8k and not really accelerating. I know the belt was slipping but I'm new to the whole can am cvt so is this normal to get the belt hot and cause it to start slipping or do I have another problem?
    Can am 1/2 windshield - Can am sport/bimin roof - Can am windscreen - Turnkey Tie rods - Turnkey chassis braces/gussets - Dalton secondary spring
    The slow one

Supporting Member
    Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I'm no guru but I had something similar happen on my commander. I was playing in deep water for awhile and when I came out I couldn't move very good. I had to give it alot of gas to get the commander going. Of course I thought the belt was wet so I went back to camp and pulled the cvt cover off. well there was no water so know I was puzzled. I compared the belt to a new one that I had and it looked a little shinny. so I put the new belt on and went for a ride. It worked perfect now so I guess pushing all that water around got the belt hot and glazed it. I've never had the problem again.
    2013 Can Am Maverick XRS
    BRP aluminum sport roof
    BRP/pro armor doors
    Two brothers exhaust
    Wicked Built Power Steering

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    you can glaze a belt, and the clutch wont grip it anymore. it'll be so hard and slick, the clutch has a hard time grabbing it.

BUT, i would check the primary for signs of slippage. at the top 1/2" of the primary, if there is a discolored ring, like a dark brown hue, or even black from melted rubber, your primary is slipping at full shift. i have seen quite a few of the mav primary clutches do this. your primary bolt is not tight enough, and the outer half of the primary is slipping when you get upwards to full shift. (usually over 55-60mph)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Sounds like this could be my problem. My maverick squeaks a bit when I go to take off or shift from say low to reverse under pressure. I pulled the belt cover off and the last 1/2 inch or so of the primary was like a goldish brownish color. Mine has the update with the slippery washers does anyone know what it should be torqued to?

Quote Originally Posted by ///AIRDAM View Post
    you can glaze a belt, and the clutch wont grip it anymore. it'll be so hard and slick, the clutch has a hard time grabbing it.

BUT, i would check the primary for signs of slippage. at the top 1/2" of the primary, if there is a discolored ring, like a dark brown hue, or even black from melted rubber, your primary is slipping at full shift. i have seen quite a few of the mav primary clutches do this. your primary bolt is not tight enough, and the outer half of the primary is slipping when you get upwards to full shift. (usually over 55-60mph)

Member #
    Liked
    113 times
    I rode it again and cannot get it to act up again. Maybe it pulled water through the cvt intake filter? I dont know but ill keep an eye on it.
    Can am 1/2 windshield - Can am sport/bimin roof - Can am windscreen - Turnkey Tie rods - Turnkey chassis braces/gussets - Dalton secondary spring
    The slow one

Links